Logo

Starter circuit question

jimmy20

"New guy here, so bear with me

"New guy here, so bear with me.

I pulled the boat out today to get ready for the spring and summer. I put the battery in it, and got no power to anything except the outdrive tilt. Not even the instruments or engine buzzer were working. Obviously, the engine had no juice either. I troubleshot down to a plastic-coated "block" mounted on the starter that the "hot wire" ran from the starter to the rest of the engine through. It has one end of it mounted under the battery lead on the starter post, and the other end has the wire to the circuit breaker on top of the engine mounted on it. There was a small metal "filament" sandwiched in it that was broken. I jumped that filament and all was normal. The engine fired right up and ran great.

Can someone tell me what that item is and if there is any problem running the engine with it this way. It seems there should be enough circuit protection in the system without this. My last boat did not have this device installed, and all was well(but it was 20 years old).

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.
Jim"

"I think it`s a 90A link. And

"I think it`s a 90A link. And your right, earlier versions did not have this. Remove it and your better with the direct connection."

"Thanks for the response. I j

"Thanks for the response. I just wonder why it went out. It looks like a weak point in the system, so that makes me leary right off the bat. The last thing anyone needs is a weak point that will make a fun day on the water longer due to maintenance. Again, Thank you.
Jim"

"Ayuh,......

That's jus

"Ayuh,......

That's just Another, Lawyer driven Safety feature.....

I usualy just give them a "Float Test",+ attach the wire directly to the Starter......."

i just replaced mine. It was o

i just replaced mine. It was only $23. i had the same symptoms as you. It was there for a reason. I replaced to keep everything as original. Not bad for the price to keep as it came from factory. it is a 90 amp starter fuse assembly. It blew for a reason!

"Does anyone know what it is a

"Does anyone know what it is actually designed to protect, and what could have made it blow. Now I'm just curious bacause I'm anal about the little things...sorry. My wife loves to pick on me about it."

"Jim:

Fuses are designed to

"Jim:

Fuses are designed to "LIMIT" the current in a wire to the max. capability of the wire, just like a house. If a component in the circuit draws current over the limit...it blows. Causes: worn starter, dirty or corroded wire connections create resistance, etc."

"Hence my irritation with the

"Hence my irritation with the problem. The boat is only 1 year old. I wonder if it happenned when I reconnected the battery wire to "de-winterize" it. I checked all my wires while I was troubleshooting to find the problem in the first place, and all connections are good. I put a light coat of grease on the engine connections when I winterized it. I guess it was just one of those things.

Well, thanks for the replies, guys. May as well let this thread die a quiet death now.

Take it easy, Jim"

Back