Logo

Need help on cooling problem

M

migot07

"Helping my stepdad today on &

"Helping my stepdad today on '94 3.0 GM 4 cyl. mercruiser. I was worried about the gas, since my stepdad really can't remember when the last time all that gas was run out. He said he put sta-bil in it (he thinks). I smelled the gas tank, and could not detect the odor of varnish, so I put in a pint of Seafoam. Boat started right up, we idled it for about a 1/2 hour, he took short trip down canal. The temp. guage has barely moved, it's on 100 degrees. Plus, when I feel the big curved hose (about 2 1/2 or 3" in diameter) that goes from t-stat to water pump it is just slightly warm. 1)Even assuming we have a faulty gauge, shouldn't that big hose be hot once you run that engine for 15 minutes or longer? I was thinking maybe the t-stat was locked in the open position? All advice appreciated- have boat at dockside now, unsure what to do- don't know if we will hurt engine or not."

Part number for Mercruiser the

Part number for Mercruiser thermostat is 59078. Click on engine parts above and insert the number in the search box. If it hasn't been changed in years expect it to be rusted in place. Get a Dremel tool and clean out the rust w/a sanding barrell. Don't grind it out.

Back