Logo

Outdrive removal

baberuth1959

"Last fall I removed the outdr

"Last fall I removed the outdrive without putting the shift control in forward, is this going to cause problems when i put it back on?"

"the out drive came off very e

"the out drive came off very easy, i dont think any damage happened.ty bt doctur, now i am starting the engine removal to replace the engine coupler,on the engine mounts,should i take the 2 bolts out that holds the mount to the boat or just the top nut?"

"rear engine mounts= just remo

"rear engine mounts= just remove the bolts (2)
for front mounts= remove the lags/bolts, pull engine,loosen the adjusting nuts on the front mount (heat if ness),these need to be movable to check/readjust the engine alignment."

"New guy to forum trying to he

"New guy to forum trying to help a friend with removing his out drive ( 3.0 )I'm not to familar with Mercs but have played with some OMC drives.My question is do the mercs come off like the omc, read the frist post about putting in forward before starting removal. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

"Shro;
You should start your

"Shro;
You should start your own topic rather than piggyback on another ongoing discussion.
For how to remove the drive you can check out outdrives.com or other similar sites.
Better yet, get yourself a manual.

R&R'ing the drive is not difficult or complicated, but like the shifting into forward as above, there are a few key things to know that makes life a whole lot easier.

Rod"

So this question brings up con

So this question brings up concerns for me. I pulled the out drive off my 165 mercruiser and I did not put the selector in "forward". Nothing looks bent or anything like that. Should I put it in "forward" before installing it? I must have missed that step in the manual.

Eric <><

"Eric;
Definitely, put the th

"Eric;
Definitely, put the throttle quadrant in forward, and the lower shift shaft on the drive leg. This puts both the shift shaft and the reciever shoe on the gimbal in the straight ahead position, so that they can slide back together properly.
This is a critical step, at least on reassembly.

Rod"

Thanks for the input. I'

Thanks for the input. I'll double check the manual and see if they have any pictures.

Eric<><

Back