Logo

No power

C

captduck

I have a 2003 4.3l vortec merc

I have a 2003 4.3l vortec mercruiser. I had the batteries out of the boat for the winter. Well yesterday i went to install the batteries and prep her up for the summer. Well i get no power to my gauges and no ignition. I have absolutely nothing coming from the batteries. The batteries are well charged. I checked with a voltmeter and have enough voltage. I can lower the outdrive with the trim button. But get nothing else. Any ideas?

"Start at the battery's,yo

"Start at the battery's,you have power cables and control wiring make certain they are connected,then go to fuse or breaker panel,check wih v.o.m reading of 000 res. Use a test light to ensure you have 12vdc a dist panel also neg source. But first step back and just relax or you will drive yourself nuts and start looking in the wrong area,try to think of it like the flow of water. supply,lines to and the consumption.I'll bet your problem is so silly you'll want to kick yourself but I suggest you leave that up to the better half"

"Are the battery`s neg. connec

"Are the battery`s neg. connections good ,clean,tight.can you jump the slave or the solenoid to test battery connections?"

Updated info. (i knew it h

Updated info. (i knew it had to be something simple) I made a jumper wire and connected it from the + terminal on my battery and connected straight to my fuse panel. And everything came on. All my gauges and audible warning buzzer came on adn she fired right up. So trace the hot wire that feeds the fuse panel all the way to the engine harness. Goes thru the harness and on the other end it goes to the Big red circuit breaker button on the engine. From there it goes to the starter and from the starter it goes to the battery. could it be the cirguit breaker button is bad? I put the hot wire to the circuit breaker wires and everything comes on like they should. I connect that hot wire to the starter and nothing. So i am thinking it is the circuit breaker button.

Is it tripped? Push it hard t

Is it tripped? Push it hard to see if it clicks. Yes they do go bad. Nice trouble shooting.

OK i have found the problem. T

OK i have found the problem. There is like a fusible link on the starter. Hot wire from battery connects on one side and wires to engine circuit on the other side. That fusible link is bad. Tested everything with ohms meter and that is the guilty culprit. Just going to get rid of it and connect all wires together. Or at least until i can get another one.

"Captduck...
If that really i

"Captduck...
If that really is a fusible link, I wouldn't be just cutting it out and connecting everything together. As the name suggests, it's a fuse, its just in wire form. If that thing blew because of an over current situation, then removing it from the circuit and connecting all the other wires together will let all the current flow and something is gonna melt and catch fire. You better find out why that thing went bad. Fusible links strength (current protection) is determined by the colour of the wire. Don't just use a regular piece of wire the same colour, go out and get the proper thing of the same colour.

Wrench"

Back