Logo

Fuel gauge problem

fishon10

"Hey guys I have another fuel

"Hey guys I have another fuel gauge question. I have a 89 Larson 17ft. bowrider with a 3.0 L mercruiser. My gauge wasn't working and I thought I had it narrowed down to a bad pink wire from ther sending unit to the gauge, so I ran a new wire and the gauge worked for about 2 trips out. Now it is out again, and when it did work the gauge seemed liked it jumped alot. Does anyone have any suggestions to try? I am not sure if it is the gauge itself or the sending unit. I would rather not have to pull up the floor board again, but if you think I need to get to the sender than so be it. Thanks for any help or suggestions."

"It could be just a bad ground

"It could be just a bad ground wire at the tank,Your pink wire was "bad". maybe a bad Black wire also.
2_cents.gif
"

"Dirty connections is the most

"Dirty connections is the most common fault. Replacing the pink wire could have just "cleaned" its connections with the wire actually being good.
I would dissconnect ALL connections in the circuit, spray them with electrical conntact cleaner, dry, and reattach. If there is s separate fuse for this circuit, the fuse contacts could be dirty or loose, so pull fuse and clean with the others.

I have found few actually faulty fuel guages, but it can happen. Can you borrow a guage and put it or a meter in the circuit (even if actually setting on the floor as a test substitute?

Fuel level sender second most likely culprit. Not fun chore to pull and test so do everything else first. Usually a linear resistor attached to a swing arm with a float. If you are extremely lucky, you will find the swing arm float has poor clearance on the side of the tank, or even fallen off the arm causing the problem. If float may be touching against the tank, bend arm slightly to allow better clearence. If float has fallen off, reattach and perhaps devise some type tie to hold it on in the future.

Manually moving the swing arm should produce a smooth changing signal on your test meter or guage. If no changing signal or an eratic signal on meter, the sliding contact may be dirty from crudy fuel at some time, and cleaning could fix. But most likely I would replace it due to the effort involved in going back in there."

I have read this thread but I

I have read this thread but I have a slightly different problem. My fuel gauge constantly flickers when the boat is running..any suggestions?

"Worn sender, loose wire at se

"Worn sender, loose wire at sender or gauge, defective gauge--insert digital voltmeter in place of gauge to rule out gauge and prove sender is the problem."

Back