Logo

NS50D2 Misses

joaty

"Purchased this 2000 motor las

"Purchased this 2000 motor last fall. Discovered it did not have an alarm system when we found it overheating. Changed the water pump impelller which solved that problem. Found a very loose ground wire connection to the coil on #2 SP with a fouled plug (it was running rough). We tightened (reconnected) the ground wire and checked compression. It was ok.
Motor still ran rough (misses). We have adjusted the linkages, timing, and synchron the carb as per the manual.
The motor starts just fine but it is still missing... could the loose ground wire on #2 SP cause a problem with the coil that could cause the miss? or is it likely to affect something else?
So glad to have found this group

Joaty"

Your first step is to determin

Your first step is to determine which system on the engine is causing the miss.

Ignition
Fuel
Mechanical

"We are fairly sure it's n

"We are fairly sure it's not fuel. (we've dumped and cleaned the tank, new fuel with stabilizer). According to the hubby, he said (based on your answer) that we should check for spark color? I will check that and get back with results. I am somewhat of a novice with no dealer/service nearby. It took 3 weeks for me not to get the water pump parts locally so ended up ordering over the net. Got them in a few days.
Thank you for the direction. At least I have somewhere to go with this.
Joaty"

"Update: We rechecked compress

"Update: We rechecked compression & spark ...both excellent... did several electrical tests but ran into a DVA test... is there a meter for that? We have a lot of meters but none that have a DVA Scale.
Added Sea Foam to the fuel and it seems to be working.. lots of smoke and the engine is running better. It may just be clogged with carbon. We'll take it out and run it for awhile on the water and do the water adjustment as per the manual (if I don't fall overboard while trying to tweak some screws while looking for sharks)

Joaty"

Any analog meter will do the t

Any analog meter will do the tests in a factory serice manual. What brand of service manual are you trying to use?

"The info on the manual is:

"The info on the manual is:

Tohatsu Outboards
3 &4 Cylinder models
Service Manual

address is Tokyo with a homepage of www.tohatsu.co,jp
Don't remember where I bought it on line."

A DVA meter measures peak volt

A DVA meter measures peak voltage. They are available almost everywhere. You have the latest manual available from Tohatsu.

"Thank you for the information

"Thank you for the information. We're going to put the boat in the water this week and see how it runs. If it still misses, we'll get a meter and go deeper."

Back