Logo

Blew freeze plugs wrong owners manual

chefer

Bought the boat new last year

Bought the boat new last year and pulled the 3 blue drain plugs brought it to a closer dealer to check something minor and they told me I missed 2 of the plugs. I showed them the owners manual and they said the other dealer gave me the wrong one for the smaller motor and not the 4.3L. This is a major job and he said the block could be cracked even though the freeze plugs blew. Do I have any recourse with the other dealer? What should I do? Thanks Mike

"I am guessing that the two pl

"I am guessing that the two plugs that you missed are the main block drains on either side?

You should likely go back to the first dealer and tell them what has happened, and insist that it is their warranty problem.

They will likely say that the warranty does not cover the damage since you did your own winterizing and did not use a Merc certified dealer.

That's when the fun will start, but if you are persistent and go back direct through Merc, you may get it covered I would guess, or at least a cost split agreement.

The problem is that Merc's warranty policy is that they do not cover freeze damage.

Rod"

""...dealer gave me the wr

""...dealer gave me the wrong one for the smaller motor and not the 4.3L"

Try what Rod suggests. If you get nowhere, then get an attorney and file a Civil Suit against the dealer. Keep the wrong manual; it's your Court ticket for a new engine."

Here is an update. I went to

Here is an update. I went to original dealer and he told me it is the right manual but doesn't have the information on my motor and all the drain plugs. It pictures the closed system. I told him that why would they not give the right information for the boat you are buying and the proper way to maintain it. He was very nice and the owner I might add. He is going to put the plugs back it and hopefully the block isn't cracked. If it is he will contact merc and tell them the situation with the manual. I think it would be better to have no information on this proceedure then lack of or wrong information. The merc web site say to refer to your owners manual or contact the dealer for the amount of plugs in the boat. I will wait and see if it leaks at this point. I was told that it is a good possibility that the block is cracked because this happens on the 4.3l motor alot. Thanks for your input. Mike

"I don't ever pull my plug

"I don't ever pull my plugs. I fill the motor with straight -100 anitfreeze, shut it off then pour some down the coolant hoses(i end up with nice pink(or blue)AF coming out the stern, so i know all water is out) so if you had anti freeze in there, i'd suspect you'd be ok. Plus, if you had all but two plugs out, I would think that as the water started to freeze, it would make its way to the plugs you had open to help relieve some of the pressure. With luck, ice just local to the plugs caused them to pop(aren't they engineered to go so the block doesn't?) and that popping didn't give it a chance to heave the block. We're pullin for ya"

"(aren't they engineer

"(aren't they engineered to go so the block doesn't?)

No, they are there to allow the removal of sand during the block casting process.The term "Frezze out plug" Is one of the most missused terms I have ever heard. Sure they will pop during a frezze but they offer no protection for the block.

I second the fill it with antifrezze method. I made a bucket with a fitting to connect to the muffs and let the engine pull it in till it's 100% at the exaust then give it an extra gallon. As a final step I then pull the plugs and let it drain, nothing like being double safe.

Good luck with your 4.3, let us know how it works out."

"I'll be interested to see

"I'll be interested to see what happens. I have a 5.0 Mercruiser and have the same problem. My manual doesn't even come close to the drain plug locations for my motor. I finally found them (after days of feeling around, as only 1 of the 5 can even be seen), but not until after the motor had been exposed to freezing temps. I have some leaks, but haven't determined the full extent of the damage yet. Mercruiser (or whoever placed THAT manual with THAT motor) should bear full responsibility. My boat & motor is a 2006 but was purchased new June of 2007. My owners manual is a 2005! Either there's a big difference between the 05 & 06 engines, or Mercruiser failed to update their manual a long time ago..."

Sue the SOBs! I recommend dra

Sue the SOBs! I recommend draining the block before doing the pink stuff routine. You wouldn't believe the rusty crap that comes out when you do--especially the manifolds.

Jeff

"I have an 06 mercruiser 4.6 a

"I have an 06 mercruiser 4.6 alpha and also have a manual with the actual serial numbers of my engine on it and it says nothing about 5 blue plugs, it specifically states 3 and i have lost casting plugs also and now i have a terrible oil leak as well. Merc paid for the plug replacement last year and fortunately i had no freeze damage, however this year again i lost 2 more and am still trying to get them to reimburse me for them. However this year after my first day on the lake, i noticed a major oil leak and so here i am back at it. The first year, they convinced me it was a fluke, so i did the winterization again my self, stupid i agree, but with good info, i would have never had this problem. If you look at the 08 manual, it know has a third option for the multipoint drain procedure. They figuired out there mistake and have corrected for it, but doesnt do a thing for us. Please help with any and all information as i plan to file suit if they wont repair it."

Grant;
You should copy this t

Grant;
You should copy this to a new topic of your own rather than piggyback on an old topic. You will get wider responses that way.

Rod

Back