Logo

Sourceprice for trim position sensor

david_ray

Regular Contributor
"Haven't launched yet, awa

"Haven't launched yet, awaiting new trim pump solenoids. Pump runs if solenoids bypassed.

However while cleaning up the trim position sensor I see that the rheostat type resistor windings are wearing down and have movement, and also the slide pin has developed rough burrs and a crack. This rough surface is probably what damaged the windings. Using a meter I could detect no difference in signal along the slide surface.

While I can run fine without it ever functioning again (I trim by feel, not the dial) I should probably go ahead and replace it now or very soon.
Have not located a source other than Mercury dealers (none really nearby) either online or in catalogs. Rather then drive from dealer to dealer, I would just as leave have one delivered.
Do you have a reference I could use?
Thanks for all references."

"Check this site.
If you are

"Check this site.
If you are doing one, do the other side (trim limit switch) also, as it will be about the same condition.
The senders are sold as pairs.

Rod"

"Rod, I did check this site fi

"Rod, I did check this site first. I believe in loyalty where possible to the site that provides this fine forum. In fact I ordered all my current project repair parts (all bellows, gaskets, trim hoses, water pump) here. But have not yet been able to locate these parts on this site. They may be here somewhere, but not at any of the links I see that seem related to the subject."

"OK, then I would suggest chec

"OK, then I would suggest checking Outdrives.com or Sterndrive Solutions. They will be cheaper than your local Merc dealer, but there will be a shipping cost. Check your dealer's price first maybe and get an idea what you are into.

I have seen them listed for about 80 bucks for the pair. ebay may be another source.

Rod"

"Thanks everyone. And an addi

"Thanks everyone. And an additional thanks to Andrew Menkart for stepping into the query. And his site did list the items, although I could not found them until the above part numbers showed for the search. So now I know this site can be my source.

Two slightly different part numbers with two slightly different prices. One is labeled as AutoTrim, and the other had no special name.
Well, my trim is definitely not "auto", but very manual, for whatever that means.

I do know the interier of current trim limit switch is like new, so I do not actually need this unit, but of course if I buy the combo package I would replace both.

I just remembered (about 10 minutes ago), I gave a boat away a many years back and it is still setting in storage as new owner (a relative) never transferred title from my name or fixed a few things to make it operational. I just might be able to pull the trim position sensor off that mercruiser.

Thanks again to all - the site is very helpful, and I can now plan my actions. Today, I prepare the jet skiis for the season."

"David
One of the big problem

"David
One of the big problems with both these senders/switches is deterioration of the interconnecting wiring, which is exposed to water and weather. You may well find that the old ones are beyond salvage. If you are going to change them anyway you be strongly advised to put in new. The switches are cheap compared to the time it takes to change them.

Rod"

Rod:

My pleasure sir. It&#

Rod:

My pleasure sir. It's a Mercruiser Dealer's site for parts by Merc. numbers. I use it alot.

"I bought mine off of ebay, br

"I bought mine off of ebay, brand new for 66.00 for the set, both sides, I just set them correctly today, I followed the instructions here online and they where so easy to set I could not believe it.

I also bought all my bellows, gimbal bearing, shifter cable ext....the whole entire kit from ebay and it was all mallory marine parts which are good ones. THis was the cheapest repair I ever did on a boat!!!

good luck and ask questions if you need to know something, Rob, Guy, BOndo, Rod....all are very smart and know alot about boats, and Paul also I cant forget him.....well heck all the guys that answer your questions on here know there stuff!!!!"

Back