Logo

Problem with 07 HPDI 200HP

T

tedcayer

"I have a 2007 HPDI 200HP with

"I have a 2007 HPDI 200HP with 150 hours on it. At about 125 hours it started cutting out when I would try to get on plane and would only run at about 1800 RPM’s – it took about 4 hours to get back. I took it in for repairs and was told I was not getting enough time at over 4500 RPM’s. Most of my activity is to run out at the most passenger comfortable speed and then either troll or bump drift. They said the O2 sensor was completely clogged and the plugs badly fouled. They cleaned the O2 and I replaced the plugs.

When I got the boat back I ran it as much as possible at higher RPM’s and after just 15 hours it is doing the same thing. The boat is at the shop and I just called Yamaha to talk to them about this problem. The representative I talk with said the HPDI require more maintenance. I have a hard time believing that all of the other people with HPDI’s run at breakneck speed, troll of bump drift, and then change plugs and clean the O2 every 10 hours.

Any thought or suggestions are appreciated.

Ted"

That makes one appreciate the

That makes one appreciate the older " run forever motors " . So find another shop and a better mechanic. Many shops like to " sell " a product but have no expertise to back it up with service.

"Wow, thats great to know the

"Wow, thats great to know the older "run forever motors" are so appreciated, but does anyone have any ideas as to what his motors problem "might" be? I reffered Ted to this site because the guys in the Johnson/Evinrude section helped me out a lot on my 96 Evinrude.

I know the advise here is free and I don't want anyone to think I'm not greatfull, but to just say that "your mechanic sucks get another one" is kinda lame.

My thought was that the computer may be feeding the engine too much oil at higher RPM's, because at lower RPM's there is not the tell tail excesive smoke. Then again I'm not a Profesional Yamaha mechanic, you guys are.

If anyone has any ideas on why his engine is fouling plugs and clogging 02 sensors would you please be so kind as to chime in.

Thank you in advance

Dave Marshall"

"Thanks Just in time,

He h

"Thanks Just in time,

He has run nothing but Yamalube, and 1 oz. per 10 gallons of ring free.

Dave Marshall"

"Thank you for the input guys.

"Thank you for the input guys.

I have told several of my friends about the terrific advise and opinios that can be obtained by coming to this site. I have also bragged about the great prices and customer service that I have gotten on parts from this site.

I never expected to be ignored, and I wish I had never told Ted (or anyone else)about this site in the first place.

I am not only embarresed myself, but am embarresed for the entire Marineengine.com community.

Goodbye"

"Are you kidding me?

I kno

"Are you kidding me?

I know you can read.
I bragged to a friend about how great this site was and I look to see how his question will be answered, and get a generic "get a new mechanic" reply and then I responded to your question about what type of oil he was using and nothing, while later posts are being answered above his.

I must have just gotten lucky in the Evinrude section i guess, or the guys over there really do care about the people that have questions.

Thank you to JBmarine, Joe Reeves, and Morten for your exellent ability to answer question and provide us little people with quality information.

"that's what""

no reason i asked "what oi

no reason i asked "what oil" is some oils carbon up more than others

then i really did not understand what u wanted

but they got rid of the 02 sensor years ago

Back