Logo

Starter hanging

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
when i turn the key to start t

when i turn the key to start the engine it turns over...kinda slow but may be from only 12.8 volt after sitting 2 months... but when i turn the key to run after atempting to start it the starter continues to try to start the motor even if it starts or not... I changed the starter solenoid on the engine cause I thought it was staying engaged even though the key was in the run position. this resulting in no change. so what can it be the whole starter or the solenoid on the starter itself?????

When the engine is running....

When the engine is running....is the starter engaged to the engine...meaning the bendix is out and hooked to the engine?Which would mean solenoid or a wiring problem letting it run.Or is the bendix in and the starter is just running on its own?Which is a wiring problem as the starter is doing its job.Might want to take a look at the back of the key switch and terminals at starter.....Todd

"yeah its like it gets stuck e

"yeah its like it gets stuck engaged. Now, i tried one time to unhook the battery after it started and the starter disengaged and had no problems with it untill I turn the motor off and tried to start it agin.

on the key switch, what do I look for just corosion on the wires or could it be internally messed up? if it is internally corroded how do I check it??????"

Check the wires for dirty or l

Check the wires for dirty or loose connectors and the key switch for internal corrosion w/a digital voltmeter to see if there is any voltage drop between screws. There should be NO drop in voltage. Check by resistance after removing all wires. There should be "0" ohms between screws.
Replace the switch if there is any change.

"and don't make it a habit

"and don't make it a habit of unhooking the batt while its running. I know you had to do something to stop it from cranking, but you run the risk of blowing alts. and computers when you take the batt out of the circuit. The batt keeps that alt. from going crazy.

Wrench"

I know about the don't run

I know about the don't run with no battery thing all I did was unhook it to disenguage the starter and immediately hooked it back up. any Ideas on where to get a new key switch if its bad?????

"I have solved that problem a

"I have solved that problem a few times by pulling the starter mounted solenoid and cleaning it out thoroughly inside, dressing down the contacts, etc. Problem is you have to pull the starter usually to get it off. This unit is low in the bilge, draw moisture from the air, and tends to surface rust inside, causing drag on its action.
Considering the time it takes to do all this, and no guarantee it will do the trick at all or for long, it is no longer worth it to me.
Now, when this happens, I pull the starter and replace it with a new or rebuilt starter which comes with a nice new solenoid. Last starter I bought two seasons back was about $110 new, which was only $10 more than the shop wanted to rebuild the one I had."

Back