Logo

Engine coupler question

baberuth1959

"I have a 1983 Larson 21ft del

"I have a 1983 Larson 21ft delta conic with a mcm 229cid v6 motor, I was told i need to replace the engine coupler. what happened was , as i was pulling away from the dock, i heard a squeeling noise , then the motor reved, had to be towed back, got home checked the prop with the control in forward, prop is engaged, same for reverse, and spins free in nutral, anyway, i need to know if i can replace this my self, and just what is envolved. will the motor have to be pulled? and if so, can i do this without to much problems with allignment as long as i dont mess with the mount adjustments. thankyou in advance for your help."

"Motor needs to come out or su

"Motor needs to come out or supported so you can remove the rear mount to get to the coupler.
Alignment should be rechecked even if you dont disturb theh setting.But if it is out of alignment you need to pull/support the engine again to remove the front mounts,free up the adjusting nuts, and reset engine and realign."

"Have you ever pulled a drive

"Have you ever pulled a drive off before?Worked on engines to be able to do this?We can help, but just trying to understand where you are mechanically to know how detailed we need to be.Which drive do you have as I think that is when the Alpha took over from the MR.Let us know.As for alignment...will get to that later.You can do this and best if done with a few helpers I might add.Is there room to slide the engine front about 8" or so?...Todd"

"yes those little pain in the

"yes those little pain in the rears that you can not see.Not hard,but just buggy like a mosquito...hahahaha...Todd"

"as far as mechanical ability,

"as far as mechanical ability, i have changed a few motors and trans before, but not on a boat, all my experiance has been with autos. yes , there is about 2 ft of room in front of the motor ."

Back