Logo

Yamaha 50hp trouble

garymc

"I am having fits with my 1998

"I am having fits with my 1998 Yamaha 50hp outboard. Due to my work situation, the motor sat up unused for about a year and a half. Before I tried to crank it, I drained the fuel tank and replaced with fresh fuel/oil mix. The motor cranked right up and idled good, but I noticed fuel overflowing out of the middle carb. So, I removed all three carbs and cleaned them thoroughly. I did not rebuild them, just gave them a good cleaning. The top carb appeared clean, the middle carb had some gunk in the bowl, the bottom carb was gunked up and the float valve was stuck. But I did thoroughly clean all three. I put the carbs back on and the motor would not crank. The only way it will crank is with the emergency fuel enrichment lever on. Then it runs fairly rough and if I open the throttle it bogs down and dies. If I turn the emergency fuel enrichment switch back to normal it dies after a few seconds. Other --- I did remove and clean the fuel filter, and the primer bulb pumps up firm. What else should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!"

Back