Logo

Problem idling

roederll

Regular Contributor
"I have an mercruiser straight

"I have an mercruiser straight inboard that idles rough as all get out. Ran fine when first put in water didn't have a problem with it. Ran it for a while but don't know exactly what is wrong. Changed the fuel/water separator, but still ran rought. It is an chevy 350 motor if it is any consilation."

"Might be the fuel pump not se

"Might be the fuel pump not sending enough,clogged carb filter,did you fill the new fuel filter with gas before installing as this can cause damage to the pump,could be dirt in the fuel line stuck at the checkball,how about a plug wire that fell of from vibration, how much fuel is in the tank with the ethanol situation happening,did you get wax in the fuel vents......some things off the top of my head to check...Todd"

"No i didn't put fuel in t

"No i didn't put fuel in the fuel water separator, but even then it ran like it did after i replaced it. I didn't check to see if any of the spark plug wires were loose, i guess it would have a problem if one of the cylinders were down. Thanks I'll post something in a day or two. To check those listed. Appreciate it."

"If its carbed, you may have a

"If its carbed, you may have a clogged idle jet, or a wonky float that is allowing the fuel level to run too high or low, or a stuck stuck choke, etc.

If the spark system checks out, this would be the next area to dig into.
Does it staghten out under load or at higher RPMS? If so, its not likely a loose plug wire. If its only rough at idle that points to poor idle mixture due to carb issues as above.
If there is dark smoke and strong exhaust smell that would indicate too rich. Stuck choke or fuel level too high.

Rod"

In order to shift you have to

In order to shift you have to have rev the engine and shift to get it to go. After you got it to go it didn't have that much problem other than it wasn't running at the RPMs that is was when we were running out in the beggining.

"Rod:

Congrats. on the Seni

"Rod:

Congrats. on the Senior Member status.
whistle.gif

Gas went to $3.65/gal. today. That's why my boat is parked; only going fishing twice/week. Costs me $50 for each trip now! I guess I'll have to get a paying job for gas money.
sad.gif
"

"Guy;

Thanks. I feel even o

"Guy;

Thanks. I feel even older and grayer now.

We are now paying $1.22 a liter at the pumps for 87 octane. That works out to about $4.45 US a gallon, allowing exchange of 1.04
So your gas price still looks like a hell of a deal to us.

And remember, this is a country with huge natural resources including tarsands and bitumen deposits. We are a net exporter of crude oil by a long shot. What's wrong with this picture? Our government rapes us blind with taxes, that's what.

Enough whining I guess.
I'll have to start saving up to see if I can afford a day or 2 on the water this year.

Rod"

"Thats freaking terrible, the

"Thats freaking terrible, the average in the US is about $4, but we complain about our gas."

Back