Logo

Kohler 73E

pfederlin

"Have a genset with cronic int

"Have a genset with cronic intermittent shutdown issues, water flow is good, oil level is good, with or without sound shield, colant level is good. nothing obvious wrong I could find over the last year utill yesterday. the drip tray is full of oil, no obvious leak seen, but mabe from drive shaft of engine to the gen. any ideas. no help form Kohler on this one, they dont know.
only has 800 hrs on it, but out of warrnaty by time.

thanks"

"Peter, intermittent failures

"Peter, intermittent failures are very difficult to identify, especially if it happens infrequently.

I am assuming you have services the fuel filters and air filter and have inspected all electrical connections. If the unit stumbles and stalls like it's running out of gas, it is not a system shutdown, rather a mechanical shutdown such as a clogged fuel filter or an air leak.

Just because water flow is good, doesn't mean unit is cooling properly. Check the operating temp at the sender with a laser pyrometer.

Depending on the mounting configuration in your boat, a slightly low oil condition can set off a code in rough seas or while accelerating or in a hard turn.

The exhaust temp sensor is also a cause for suspicion. One by one, I would disconnect the shutdown senders until I isolate the one shutting the unit down. Don't disconnect more than one at a time as you will not know which one is shutting the unit down.

Finally, make sure the unit has the proper breakers in it. If too large a breaker is installed rather than trip under a heavy load, it will simply overload the motor and the unit will stall. Last but not least, unplug your remote control harness. It is possible that something in that harness/switch assembly is shorting and telling the unit to shut down.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Rick"

"What is the color of the oil

"What is the color of the oil in pan?Black as it has been run in the engine or gold as it might have leaked from last change?Sure plug is tight?After following what Rick has helped you I think I would clean up the drip pan to spotless,clean up the engine as best you can,fill her up with oil and a new filter making sure you do not have 2 filter gaskets as an old one stuck fast,run the unit and see what gives as the oil came from somewhere and you mentioned the pan was full.Checking with a flashlight should lead you to the right area from the initial drips,I would hope, where you can hopefully pinpoint the leak.....Todd"

"thanks for input, today I de

"thanks for input, today I determined the oil is coming from the front main seal. my work has just started, but wondering has anyone found cause of genset runs fine with no load, but with load it cuts out/backfires and shuts down after 10 mins or so.
seems like a fuel related issue. any input
thanks"

Back