Logo

Raw water pump Bravo 1

adam_g

Contributing Member
Ready for spring commissioning

Ready for spring commissioning. Everything done on the list including replacing the old raw water pump (7.4 L Bravo 1) with a new style one-piece body pump. I fired the engine up with muffs and a good flow of water. No water through engine. I shut the engine off in less than a minute. No water in any hoses. When I pulled the Raw water pump the impeller had disintegrated. I was careful when I put it together. The only thing that I can think of is I used dishsoap as a lubricant and it may have dried up and glued the impeller to the housing. I have never heard of priming he pump first. I am waiting for a new pump. Has this happened to anyone else?

are you sure you didn't mi

are you sure you didn't mixup the two hoses? That will do it quick.

"I was real careful. I had to

"I was real careful. I had to change an impeller out on the water once so I marked the hoses in and out, also top and bottom and I scribed the engine rotation on the body of the pump."

Disconnect the hose coming fro

Disconnect the hose coming from the drive leg at the pump inlet and try to flush backwards to the intake holes. Must be plugged up somewhere.
Hose between the drive leg and the transom assembly may be kinked.

Are you sure you don't have a thru hull water intake?
Follow the intake hose.

Rod

"When installing the impellar.

"When installing the impellar...sure fins were bent in the right way...Usually they will bend back, but perhaps yours broke and burned up.Just a thought.Either way,am sure you will be putting another impellar in and just to be safe...I would take the belt off,remove the hose from the pump outlet and stick a garden hose in there and run it to similate the pump to make sure you are good to go on the motor.Then put belt back on and run hose going into pump, and if all is well...should run on muffs.Process of elimination...Todd"

"Have had that same problem, b

"Have had that same problem, but dont know what caused it due to so called marine mechanic doing the install.

One thing not to forget is to remove all the old pieces of rubber that may have gotten pushed further up the system.

When I went thru mine I found enough rubber that was once the old impeller clogging the entrance to the oil cooler enough to be causing cooling issues."

use plenty of vaseline on the

use plenty of vaseline on the new impeller. hope the plastic housing didn't get burned.

Back