Logo

EngineGimbal alignment

gkm24

Regular Contributor
"I have just fitted a new Gimb

"I have just fitted a new Gimbal bearing to my Alpha I Gen II which has a Magnum 350 engine fitted. I slid the alignment tool in through the gimbal bearing and it appears that the engine need adjusting UP, to allow perfect alignment. The question is: is it just a case of slackening and adjusting the engine mount posts? I am assuming that the engine and transom unit are not connected so that adjustment can be made easily. Hope you understand what I am getting at."

"Make sure, when you replace a

"Make sure, when you replace a bearing it needs aligning to the coupler. The transom is bolted to the stern, the engine is bolted to the housing, the only adj. you have is with the front mounts."

"Check front mount bases for r

"Check front mount bases for rot. If you find it you HAVE to rebuild them or ruin the coupler and OD shaft, etc."

"When you install a gimbal bea

"When you install a gimbal bearing you must drive it in to be seated. The bearing itself may not be centered in the carrier ring after installation.
Use the tool to wiggle the bearing in the carrier up,down,left,right, If after that you still have trouble with the tool ,then suspect engine alignment is off a bit."

Thanks for that. In my case th

Thanks for that. In my case the engine actually needs to move down at the front. That will be Fridays job.

graham;
Having to lower the f

graham;
Having to lower the front mounts is unusual. Are you sure? They usually have to be raised a turn or two.

Rod

Back