Logo

Leg oil in Bilge

mickcc

"Hi Guy
Here`s my story an 9

"Hi Guy
Here`s my story an 97 350 Alpha1 gen 2
Had this boat now for 4 weeks and noticed every time it was used leg oil required topping up say 60 mls for 1/2 hour and last time the whole leg bottle required filling after 3 hous, but every time i noticed oil in the bilge have checked all leg oil hoses clamps etc it appears leaking out around the bottle but only when running and have checked the oil in the leg which has gone slightly milky green normally blue.
so Guy where do you start.

will be removing the leg when the manual rolls up to change the bellows.
regards Mick."

Good point Bt Dr. W/oil at fu

Good point Bt Dr. W/oil at full and tank cap sealed try using a hand bicycle pump attached to the vent screw. Pump up the pressure to no more than 5-6 psi and look for leaks. Check the bilge area under the tank; maybe cracked.

Is there a gasket on the drain screw?

"Hi Again.
Done all the requ

"Hi Again.
Done all the required tests checked both vent and drain screws have gaskets and they both do. fulled up the leg oil bottle to the full mark then pressure tested the leg Via the vent screw to 6 psi .
What happened was the level of oil raised but not quite to top as to be leaking from the lid which is the area the oil is most likley coming from to get in the bilge, looked around the prop shaft no oil there or from the drain screw.

regads Mick."

"Ayuh,....

Pressure,+ V

"Ayuh,....

Pressure,+ Vacuum Tests are done with the Outdrive Off the boat,+ Empty of Oil......"

hi Bondo
while removing oil

hi Bondo
while removing oil from the leg to see how the ratio of oil to water was in thr leg the bellow for the exshaust fell off the leg end do u think i should check everything like all hose clamps etc. there are cracks in the bellows and i do think that the oil in the bilge is caused by air or water in the oil may be be form sitting in the water too long ie heating and cooling sucking moisture aned froathing over filling theleg oil bottle and then wasting it into the bilge.

again regards mick

""cracks in the bellows&#3

""cracks in the bellows"

Replace them all including water hose. Service U-joints, gimbal bearing, etc. May find oil leaking from seal."

Back