Logo

Fuel filter recommendations

M

migot07

"Folks have got a '94 3.0

"Folks have got a '94 3.0 liter mercruiser (GM-in-line 4 cylinder engine). There is a fuel hose that goes from fuel tank to inlet side of fuel pump. I was thinking of replacing the hose with new fuel line and splicing in one of those small clear female-threaded (3/8") filters with 3/8" barb X 1/4" NPT fittings. But, I just read the description on one of these filters and it says "NOT for use on inboard engines". 1)Is there an alternative filter, like a solid metal female-threaded filter I could install in there?
This older boat has a 3-sided wooden cover that surrounds the engine with a plastic or fiberglass top. The wood is not very thick to mount a water/fuel separator. From looking in this small engine compartment, I can see virtually no other place to mount a water/fuel separator. I would really like to just mount an inline fuel filter in that length of fuel pump hose. Any advice appreciated."

"...says "NOT for use

"...says "NOT for use on inboard engines"

That's because it's not CG approved due to being a fire hazard. There already is a cone filter in the top of the fuel pump (if mechanical) and screen in the carb inlet. Is there room in the engine bay at the front for a fuel/water sep.?

Just about any double barb ended all steel fuel filter will work if a water separator can won't fit. Double clamp each hose connection.

Back