Logo

New motor marineauto

D

DAN T

"i have a 02' 350 mercruse

"i have a 02' 350 mercruser 250hp vortec 2 barrel
carborated.that sits in a 21" deck boat.for about the last 4 years i have noticed a power/speed reduction each year.i brought it back to the dealer, had the motor dino tested and they said it was all in specs.going through alot of s... they ended up test driving it with 3 other sales persons, and they agreed it was doggy out of the hole. The mechanics conclusion was maybe your flotation material (foam)is water logged causing extra weight to the boat.I didnt agree with that at all. so anyway last season we blew an head gasget inturn after removing the heads found some more big problems,one head which was brought in and pressure tested tested out good but was worped and resurfaced. the other head was unrepairable, it was deeply grooved between the 2 exhaust.and to top it off the block was grooved between cylinders 2 and 4. how long does it take to do this much damage.The lake we live on going through a mucky channle over heated a few times over the years 180-190 and last year 1 time at 220 degrees but I always shut down the motor to cool it down. I want to do it right and replace the engine.I found an engine at US MARINE ENGINES do you know if this is an respectable shop? engines under 2500.00 my question is they have 3 different hp to chose from 260,280 and 320hp.will my existing intake/carborator work on a larger hp engine and still perform the same.whats your advise. Thanks"

"HP is a combination of engine

"HP is a combination of engine displacement, internal components and air/fuel intake. W/a 2 BBL carb you'll get 260 HP. Upgrading to a 4 BBL carb requires a new intake and some brakets along w/the carb; about $1,500 to $2,000.

I suggest you get a complete drop-in engine package and consider EFI in lieu of a carb. For example, see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPLETE-5-7-350-marine-engine-NEW-motor-Mercruis er_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50442QQihZ024QQitemZ370042652447QQrdZ1QQsspagename ZWDVW and look at what they offer. If you have an Alpha OD then limit your HP to 300 HP."

WHAT WOULD BE THE ADVANTAGE OF

WHAT WOULD BE THE ADVANTAGE OF AN EFI/CARB.DOES IT PAY TO HAVE A CLOSED COOLING SYSTEM AND HOW WOULD THAT WORK WITHE AN OPEN SYSTEM?

"EFI is the way to go if you c

"EFI is the way to go if you can afford the extra bucks. Turnkey starting, no chokes, no missing or popping, no rich or lean running, etc.
Yes, the closed FWC system is the way to go.
Your regular drive pump is used to pump raw water through the exchanger portion of the system.
A system like this may have saved your original motor considering the conditions you boat in.

Rod"

Back