Logo

STARTER PROBLEMS

carlnap

Contributing Member
I have 03 mercruiser 5.0 260.

I have 03 mercruiser 5.0 260. When get to the boat and start it from a cold start. The starter turns very slow like I almost have a dead battery then dies. I turn the key again and does same thing the third time she'll crank hard and start. After being ran the start cranks and starts on the first turn. is this a wiring or starter problem.??

"Carl...

There are at least

"Carl...

There are at least three different problems (places to start diagnosing) that you can check into. Bad battery, Bad connections, Bad starter.
1) An internal break/crack in a batt post will sometimes act like this. See about taking it out and having it tested somewhere - alot of places now offer free batt tests.
2) Bad connections - take apart and clean ALL the connections between the batt and the starter, including the block ground. Unbolt the ends and clean them up with some course sandpaper/steelwool.
3) Most expensive - a bad starter will do all kinds of things to draw too much amperage while cranking. Internal wiring gone bad. Water causing rust built up in the starter siezing the bearings. Just plane worn out. Alot of places also give free starter tests as well, but this one is a little more difficult to unbolt and get out to take in for testing.

Wrench"

Just to add to Wrench and Bt D

Just to add to Wrench and Bt Dr.:

Starter solenoid internal contacts burned cause high resistance but eventually arc enough to make sufficient contact.

Guy how can I tell if it's

Guy how can I tell if it's the selenoid or the starter. I don't think it's the actual starter cause she cranks hard when it gets enough juice.

Did you pull the plugs to chec

Did you pull the plugs to check the color of the tips or to check for water. Having a good starter won`t do diddly if the cylinder is filled with water.
re-read wrenche`s post

"Carl:

Follow what Wrench a

"Carl:

Follow what Wrench and Bt Dr. said. If that checks out then jump the studs CAREFULLY w/a short screwdriver--VERY BIG SPARK MAY WELD SCREWDRIVER TO THE STUDS--on the SLAVE SOLENOID (SS) and not the starter. The SS sends juice to the starter solenoid to avtivate it. If the starter cranks; replace the SS. If it won't crank; your battery, cables or starter are defective."

"No voltage at the large lugs/

"No voltage at the large lugs/post, not sure the small ones were checked.

Starter does spin when jumping sel. on starter.

Could it be the circuit braker, or is that a different line?"

Sounds like your starter solen

Sounds like your starter solenoid is dirty and making poor/intermittent contact. It is mounted right on the starter which is down close to the bilge in a wet nasty atmosphere.

Rod

"Wrench is correct... Just pul

"Wrench is correct... Just pull the starter and have it rebuilt, dont replace it, just have it rebuilt.
If the starter ever got wet/soaked in water, it will do any number of strange things.
Solenoids either work or dont work...nothing in-between."

"Ayuh,.....

Before you go T

"Ayuh,.....

Before you go Throwing Money at it,.....

Remove, Sand,+ Clean All of the Starter Wiring,.....
Both ends of All the wiring,....
Including All of the Ground Wires,...Both Ends....."

Back