Logo

Weird distributor problem Please HELP

mamist

"Hi. I am new to this forum an

"Hi. I am new to this forum and have read a lot of posts and wanted to thank everyone in advance for your expert advice!

Here is my problem, I have a 75 Wellcraft Nova with a 75 351 Windsor in it. The engine only has 300 hours. I pulled the boat last summer after taking it out many times with no problems to do some cosmetic work. I put it back in a couple weeks later and it wouldn't start. I decided to pull it and finish my cosmetic work and wait until spring to tackle the mechanical.

What was happening is it was producing no spark. So, I replaced everything, points, cap, rotor, coil, wires, spark plugs, spark plug wires, condenser, even got a brand new battery. Now when I turn the key or have it in the acc position I can stick a screwdriver in the distributor to the sides or the plate and I get a hell of a spark, but the spark isn't traveling up to the rotor for some reason. Its like it is grounding itself out.

I've talked to a few people and they said it could be any of the following:
-The bushings need to be replaced
-The points are too far apart or are getting pulled too far apart.
-The timing is off
-The firing order is off
-Their is a problem with the cam and the rotor isn't starting at the 1st cylinder

They all seem feasible, but what I don't get is why it is grounding itself out? I took the wires off from how they originally were and replaced them exactly one at a time so I know it is wired right. I checked for frays crimps etc and replaced the wire as well. I have a red wire coming from the center of my coil to the points and two brown wires as well. Any help, input, tests, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!"

"Jeff Phillips
First off you

"Jeff Phillips
First off you should not have current at the points when in the ACC position on the ignition switch. If the distributor has not been moved then the timing should be decent for starting. (dependent on how the points were set when you installed them)
Check your wiring specifically around the coil, may not have been replaced properly when the coil was changed out.
Bert"

Back