Logo

Whatbs that smell Voltage Regulator

clueless

"Hi All-

I have an '88

"Hi All-

I have an '88 3.7L Mercruiser with the funky water cooled voltage regulator mounted to the block. I was out the other day and the regulator got hot to the point of melting some of the plastic. Runs about 14V normally when off idle. I did notice the water was low, so I'm wondering if maybe it didn't get air trapped in it. It's not a high point though so I just don't know.

Any other ideas what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance for your feedback."

"water cooled is a mis-concept

"water cooled is a mis-conception. The water pipe is strapped to the back of the unit,no water actually flows thru the regulator.if you have the room convert to the GM alt.kit.Cheaper in the long run."

"Still working this..

Looks

"Still working this..

Looks like I'm stuck w. OEM type setup, no room for a conversion. So...

1. Regulator is shot, I'm fairly certain of that. Smoking and leaking sticky goo. Does anybody have meter readings I should get at the various terminals?

2. How do I check to see if my stator is still working?

3. I saw somewhere in here where a guy used the pulley groove on the ballancer(?) around the stator instead of the typical conversion. I could fit that in I think. Does anybody have further details on this?

Thanks!"

"That was my original conversi

"That was my original conversion, never took pics because it was a 1 of a kind.I machined a 3/8 ths plate and mounted it to the head above the coil. welded 1 inch round stock ,tapped to accept the mounting bolt of the alt, fashioned an adjusting arm off the front cover."

"Sweet. The conversions I see

"Sweet. The conversions I see all seem to have a pulley that's a larger diameter than the ballancer. The smaller ballancer pulley then would make the alt turn slower, no problems?

What alt did you use?

Wiring?"

"a drawing would be good !!!!

"a drawing would be good !!!! my alternator has just arrived this morning so its off to the scrap yard for some steel now! then some fittings to make , kevs starting to smell the water now !!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
"

Back