Logo

Johnson 18hp FD14 Parts

M

Mark Thomley

"I've got an old Johnson S

"I've got an old Johnson SeaHorse sitting in the garage I inherited. This motor hasn't been started for at least 15 years. My uncle was the original owner and I'm sure he took good care of it. I am thinking about trying to get it running again, but I want to know if parts are available for a motor this old. According to the model number it is a 1960 model.

Thanks for any info that can be provided..."

"The FD-14 model is indeed a 1

"The FD-14 model is indeed a 1960 18hp Johnson. I would venture that the majority of parts are still available via a dealership, and the parts that aren't would be available elsewhere.

Sitting for that length of time, before attempting to run the engine, I would strongly suggest that you remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor, using a complete carburetor kit available no doubt at this site, any dealership or NAPA. Install new Champion J6C plugs, gapped at .030.

Also replace the water pump assembly complete.

Remove the flywheel to inspect the coils etc. The coils have a tendency to crack when sitting for a great length of time.

Change the gearlube, using what is called "HiVis" available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, dealerships, etc.

Original and superseded part numbers follow:

Water Pump; 382468
Condensers: 580321 (can also use 581419)
Coils: 580197, 582370, 582931, 582995, 584477

Try this site first for the above parts."

Good idea to checkout all syst

Good idea to checkout all systems including acompression test before you spend any money or time repairing parts on a motor that is missing one of the four things needed to runfuel and spark issues are easy to fix parts can be found but a piston or cly?those are pretty good motors sometimes worth cleaningup for use again good luck

Those motors were basically th

Those motors were basically the same from 58 to 77 so parts are everywhere.

Thanks for the input and the p

Thanks for the input and the parts numbers...This motor is clean...at least on the outside. Appreciate the help...

I've got one just like it.

I've got one just like it. A very good running motor. My flywheel does not have timing marks on it so check yours as well. I postioned the pistons at TDC in order to make sure the points were opening when they should. The word "TOP" is stamped on the cam the points heel rides on. This is where you stop to adjust your points to .020".
Bill

No timing marks on your flywhe

No timing marks on your flywheel??? You can set to points to open anywhere ---the motor does not need to be at TDC --- the points are timed to the magnets on the flywheel ( using the timing marks ) and the rest takes care of itself.

No timing marks to be found.

No timing marks to be found. I set the points by aligning the point's heel or wiper with the letter "O" in the word TOP stamped on the cam.
Bill

"(Point Setting Of Magnet

"(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

When time permits, visit my store at: http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

My cam has the word "TOP&#

My cam has the word "TOP" stamped on it. The cam is keyed to the crankshaft. I have been using the letter "O" in TOP for my set point.

Seems to run ok there. Is there something else I should do instead?
Bill

Back