Logo

Sloppy side to side sterndrive

lakepirate48

"I have a 1978 mercruiser 188h

"I have a 1978 mercruiser 188hp in a Classic Inc. Boat. If I take hold of the sterndrive I can move it what I consider too much from side to side. Steering linkage is ok. Marina where I store it told me the upper( pivot bolt, nut?) become loose. There is no way to access it other than drill a hole(s) in the upper part of the housing. This sounds a bit odd to me. Anyone with experience with this? I dont see why this would cause my outdrive to be sloppy."

"That is a fix,but you have to

"That is a fix,but you have to use a chisel to loosen everything up and retighten it.Considering you may not be able to loosen the bolt on the steering arm anyway, bite the bullet and pull the housing off to do it right.The square shaft goes inside a square steering ring. the 2 oinch bolts you see on the ring are ti tighten it up. Corrosion opes up the "square" andn you get sloppy steering."

"Hum? I'd love to see a br

"Hum? I'd love to see a breakdown of these parts. Know where I can get one? I dont even what to call my outdrive, it is so old. What would I search? I've come up dry so far.I have no problem pulling it apart but I'd like some details/exploded view first.
Jim"

"Series 1 has a lifting eye an

"Series 1 has a lifting eye and the cavitation plate is rounded.
Alpha,R,MR has a flat top cap with a lift hole on the back side and the cavitation plate is square"

"I fixed mine, which had quite

"I fixed mine, which had quite a bit of slop by loosing off the two side bolts, and slipping a couple of 3/8" wide x .020 brass shims, 2 on each side, then tightening it back up.. the shims, if you put a slight bend on them, will slide right in between the square post and the gimbal ring with everything snugged up, it feels like a whole new steering system.. This can even be done without taking the boat out of the water.."

Back