Logo

Battery overcharging

myers001

I have a 1990 Tracker Johnson

I have a 1990 Tracker Johnson 70 hp outboard with power trim and tilt. When I run the motor my fishfinder alarms keep going of because of my battery overcharging and shutting down the fishfinder. I have purchased a new battery and all terminals are in good shape. Would this be a regulator problem? If so how do you tell if it is bad and where is it located? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ken

"Get a volt meter and check th

"Get a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery with the engine running (over idle speed, maybe 2500 RPM or so). If it is over 14.5 volts chances are you have a bad regulator. Not really familiar with your motor so I can't say where it is located. I had the same problem with a mercury (chevy v-6) I/O. Not only did it make my electronics work screwy, it fried my battery as it overcharged it and cooked it. When I tested mine it was charging at 16.7 volts. Changed the alternator/regulator (could not buy them seperatly) and have not had a problem since."

"That engine does not have a r

"That engine does not have a regulator, only a diode rectifier. Using GEL battery or similar will create that effect You are describing. Either change to the cheapest possible lead/acid battery ( 70/90 Amp/hr) or install the regulator kit used on later models."

Back