Logo

Mercruiser out drive paint

J

John Daniels

Is anyone aware of any type pa

Is anyone aware of any type paint that can be applied on an outdrive that will help eliminate or reduce the the amount of zebra mussels that attach themselves while still protecting the outdrive from other problems

Currently Using International

Currently Using International Micron 2000 on my outdrives.
It seems to be the best protection I have used so far although I will try adding some Hot chillie powder and glysophate next time I antifoul the legs.
Cheers
Peter C

Guy
Unfortunatly we cannot pu

Guy
Unfortunatly we cannot purchase liquid arsenic across the counter here but you would be surprised at how well "RED HOT" Chillie powder in the mix and a bit of Glysophate (weed killer) works.
PS : Hows that boat of yours going ? I assume you have had its bum wet by now.
Cheers
Peter C

"Other than buying three new b

"Other than buying three new batteries for her, she ran great in Tennesee. The Blaster coil I put in this spring made her roar to life w/barely a turn of the starter. I filled the engine w/antifreeze for tonight's 20 Deg. F. or -7 Deg. Celcius temp. prediction. I want to fish tomorrow but may wait until 11 a.m. so the temp. has a chance to warm up.
sun.gif
"

"Glad to hear your thawed out

"Glad to hear your thawed out and floating, mine was runing brilliantly until a couple of weeks ago and now one of my 6cyl chevs is only running on 5 or maybe even 4.5.
Serious compression issue, at this stage I am hoping its just valves but I doubt it.
I will keep her going for another 6 or 8 weeks and then I will rip her out for winter.

cheers
Peter C"

"John...

In addition to Pe

"John...

In addition to Peter C...

The big ocean freighters have been fighting this problem since Noah built his arc. Marine growth adds an unbelievable amount of drag to the bottom of a boat and adds thousands of dollars to the fuel bill of cargo ships going back and forth between North America and Europe. I had to do a bunch of research into Zebra muscules a few years back and what was found to be effective was mixing ground up hot chille peppers and cayan pepper into the paint for the bottom of those big boats. Sounds stupid but I guess it burns those little buggers right where they don't want to get burned. (if it dosn't work, you could add some ground beef and some kiddney beans and have lunch)

Wrench"

"Wrench,Guy and John

I run

"Wrench,Guy and John

I run an international commercial grade antifoul on my hull which is rated at 5 year recoat and it works wonders but it has enough copper in it to just about power all my electronics and so i keep it well away from the outdrives.

What I do, is try a different antifoul on the transom and outdrives everytime, with my own bit of chemistry thrown in as well.

After I use one application of straight antifoul as a control, the next time I coat it I will use Chillie powder and the time after that I will use glysophate as well.

I then compare notes, so far the best result I have from trying 3 different antifouls with varying aditives is the International interspeed 2000 by itself, (I thought it was micron 2000)when I next recoat the legs and transom I will add the Chillie powder and after that, the Glysophate to the interspeed but so far I am up to 5 months of minor growth in water temps ranging from 16 to 21 degree C.

I have to agree with your reserch Wrench the Chillie powder works wonders and the hotter the better, I so far have up to about a 30% increase in the life of my antifoulings effectivness when I add the Chillies.

If I can get my antifoul life expectancy on the legs up to around 8 months that will make life easy and save me quite a bit of money.

Cheers
Peter C"

Back