Logo

GasWater

zumbadora

"Hello everybody I have been h

"Hello everybody I have been having this problem for the last 4 years. Before I drop my boat in the water I take off the water/gas separator filter empty it and take off, I can run it for hours, when flowering it down to 3500 rpm, 35-40 mph it starts to choke up untill it drops to 600 rpm and dies. I take the water filter off empty it put it back on and I am good to go to get back home at low rpm as long as I dont go over 2000 rpm.
Some people have told me to empty the tank and clean it I did.
Others that my air hose from the tank was closed up and when I fill it up gas goes out the air over flow that tells me that it is open. what can I do? is water coming in true the air hose is there a tamper to prevent water coming in, is this my problem? I have a 1998 350 mercruiser engine with a bravo III drive. Thanks."

"Have you found water in the f

"Have you found water in the filter recently? When did you last change ALL the fuel filters? Increase your idle RPM to 650 RPM when the engine is hot. Is the choke butterfly working freely and not sticking? Flame arrestor too tight and causing the binding?

How are the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and timing? Take the top off the carb and look for dirt and water in the bowl Replace the float and reset the drop."

"Although you dumped contents

"Although you dumped contents of the filter/separator several times,you did not really state you were finding water present. Some filter media, once swollen by significant water, never return to original filtration status. They remain more restrictive to flow fuel, and can cause fuel starvation. Have you replaced the filter media? ...and did it seem to be an effective step for at least some reasonable time? Has the fuel pump been replaced?

Four years is a long time to put up with this situation. It does not sound like an air vent problem causing a vacuum build up in the tank (from plugged vent) since you can run a long time before the problem kicks in. If tank was near full to start, a bad vent would show fairly soon. Also removing the fuel cap would allow pressure to equalize and if that had been the cause, the engine would again run normal until vacuum built up again. I believe you can rule that out.

I assume you are not running ethanol based fuel. Alcohol can draw moisture from the air and perhaps lead to filtration problems. I have no idea what alcohol will do to a water separator - no experience with water separator on gas engines, just diesels.

Any sign the engine is running a little hot? Once an engine gets hot, fuel can perculate in a carb causing all kinds of feed problems. Pausing long enough to dump filter may allow fuel system to cool enough to start engine again, but not run right. Changed water impellor?"

"I have been using the same fi

"I have been using the same filter time after time should I replace it and add a fuel additive what kind, the water impeller was changed not long ago and my temp is normal, what is the filter media? the fuel pump is 5 years old."

"Fuel sep should be replaced o

"Fuel sep should be replaced once a season. When you do remove it, pour the contents into a clear container and look at it, gas will float on water.
Water in the tank can come from the fill or the vent fitting."

Back