Logo

43 efi merc fuel filter replacement

alexdyer

Contributing Member
hI have changed my fuel filter

hI have changed my fuel filter on my engine. I primed it with fresh fuel but now engine will not start! sounds like it needs to be primed! is there a way of priming it other than by filling up the filter with fuel?
mine is the type that looks like an oil filter!

"You have the right idea, keep

"You have the right idea, keep cranking.(30 sec. @ a time) Or purge air at fuel service valve(sraiter-valve)sp."

PLEASE CAN YOU TELL ME STEP BY

PLEASE CAN YOU TELL ME STEP BY STEP AS I CAN'T SEEM TO GET FUEL INTO THE FUEL PUMP. CANNOT FIND HOW TO RELEASE AIR. MINE IS ELECTRONIC IGNITION BUT HAS A CARB ON TOP. HOW DO I GET THE AIR OUT????

"Hi Alex. Because your engine

"Hi Alex. Because your engine is EFI the fuel pump will only run for 2 seconds when ignition is first turned on. As there will be air in the system you will find your engine will kick then probably die. It will probably take about 5 to 10 goes of turning off the ignition then restarting this is just purging air out of the system and nothing to worry about. Do not continue to wind engine over if it stops, just turn off ignition wait a few seconds then go again and listen for fuel pump priming.

By the way that is not a carby on top it is called a throttle body, it will have two fuel injectors in there. If you read posts and they talk about TBI( Throttle Body Injection ) that is your EFI. The other type of EFI is MPI ( Multi Point Injection) upgraded version of yours.

Hope this helps"

i did try turning the pump on

i did try turning the pump on and off upto 20 times before trying to start it! is there anything else i can try?
i have never had problems with it prior to changing the filter!
thanks for you thoughts

"Did you open any valves you m

"Did you open any valves you may have closed before you changed the filter?? It should self prime as the other posters have said.

Crack the inlet fitting to the filter loose and cycle the key on one time, you should have fuel there. If you do try the same thing on the outlet side of the filter and then at the throtle body.

Use caution, do not let the fumes build up, run the bildge blower"

"Well i temp fitted a fuel bul

"Well i temp fitted a fuel bulb off of an old outboard between the tank and the filter, pumped it until the bulb was hard turned the ignition and the pump primed itself!
stopped engine removed bulb and now all working perfectly now!
Thanks for everyones help
kind regards
Alex UK"

Back