Logo

43 mercruiser

Manual specifies 4.5 U.S. quar

Manual specifies 4.5 U.S. quarts (4.28 Liter)with new filter. It also cautions to use dipstick to determine exact quantity needed.

"My 1987 Mercruiser 4.3L longb

"My 1987 Mercruiser 4.3L longblock reman. will show full on the DS after 4 U.S. quarts even w/a remote oil filter.
crazy.gif
"

my 98 without remote oil filte

my 98 without remote oil filter does the same. The first time i did a change i over filled it! Good for me i always check the stick after i fill.

"Thanks guys, what type of oil

"Thanks guys, what type of oil do you recomend, could I use regular car oil...

Guy, How does the remote oil filter work.

Thanks"

"Use Shell Rotella 15W40, Merc

"Use Shell Rotella 15W40, Merc. 25W40 or Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50; all good oils.

The remote filter on a 4.3L sits on the front of the port exhaust manifold...piece of cake to change filters. Oil hoses run next to exh. man. around the back and under to the old filter mount where an adapter plate is bolted in place.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=801874%2096&ivar=images/C RUISER/801874.96/21.png&inbr=1940&bnbr=22&bdesc=REMOTE+OIL+FILTER

Put a remote oil drain in place of the oil pan drain bolt; just pull the drain hose out the bilge drain hole and uncap it to drain the oil."

Guy--
When i did the chang

Guy--
When i did the change on my 98 v6 i really wanted to go mobil 1 but didn't cause i thought it might be a bit too thin when cold being a 15-50. Is the prevailing wisdom to switch from Merc 25-40 to M1 15W50? Is it ok for an older engine? I run m1 in my cars so i certainly would be happy to run it in the boat too. What does mercury say about it? thx

--chris

The dipstick height mark is af

The dipstick height mark is affected by how far the dipstick tube is press into the block.(there is a + - tolerance out of the factory) I always fill to recommended amount and remark dipstick.

"I can give specs from my 1988

"I can give specs from my 1988 manual, knowing Mercury may have updated info since this was published. I did not notice, if given, what year engine you have.

Mercury recommended Quicksilver (of course) 4-cycle marine engine oil. If not available, a good grade straight weight detergent automotive oil of proper viscosity with an API rating of SF.
SAE 20W for nominal temperatures below 32 degrees F.
SAE 30W for nominal temperatures from 32 to 50 degrees F.
SAE 40W for nominal temperatures above 50 degrees F.

If the straight weight oil is not available, a multi-viscosity 20W-40 may be used. A second but less preferable choice is 20W-50.
In any case, non-detergent oils are not recommended.

For what it is worth, I have always used 20W-40 oil, but likely to switch to 15W-40 Rotella since I use that in truck anyway and my current cars no longer call for 20W-40."

Back