Logo

Remanufactored 57 Mercruiser spewed out oil the 1st time out

newby

I gotta stick with this mechan

I gotta stick with this mechanic because he installed the motor. He says it's not obvious so therefore pull the motor. (Wellcraft inboard) I assume he did the preliminary checkout. Hope its something easy....

""boat has been in the sho

""boat has been in the shop for 45 days" is crap. Ask him to fix it today since he has been paid.

As stated before, an incorrectly installed remote oil filter will leak at the engine's filter bracket if he installed hose bracket wrong; easily done since it is a PITA to install. Make sure valve covers are tightened correctly. A defective or wrong PCV valve will blow oil out the dipstick real fast--replace it. Degrease the engine and bilge w/engine cleaner and HOT water from a garden hose using a spray nozzle on low pressure fine spray while keeping water away from carb., alt. and dist. Put the dye in the oil and run the engine while shining a black light on it to find the leak."

"Just because you are getting

"Just because you are getting a remanufactured engine does not mean it was put together right.2 years ago I put in 2 4.3 engines in a boat.When the new ones arrived...I was stunned to see things wrong including pan bolts not tightened or cross threaded.Took valve covers off to check head bolt torques and they were all over the place.So just because it runs, does not mean it is right.By the way...you would be shocked to know who did these engines.A very well known company, but do not think it is right to say.
5.7 minus 4 quarts=not so good to me.Bet more than break-in metals in the oil now...Todd"

""very well known company,

""very well known company, but do not think it is right to say"

We don't mind knowing who it is; besides, when they don't hear of problems they can't fix them in the reman. process.

Last summer, a fella from DownUnder in the Land of Oz, spiders and snakes couldn't get his new defective carb replaced until a few of us sent the seller emails telling him his name was S..T on a worlld wide website for failure to honor his warranty. New carb got sent right away.

By the way, we never did get any beer from that Ozzy.
biggrin.gif
"

"Maybe its just me getting old

"Maybe its just me getting older, but it just seems like everything you get is just slapped together in assembly line fashion, instead of aiming for top quality and longevity.Granted that I could have had better perhaps with another company that wanted 1000 more, but I felt whatever I bought should have been put together right at least.Yes I called-they said send them back,but I told them I had already gone over them and did what I thought needed corrected.They are running great to this day.But 2 chevy head bolts at 30lbs. is a bit off.
In my case,guess the savings in price was a few cases of beer....Todd"

"Even if the the remaned., eng

"Even if the the remaned., engine builder (TCM engines in austin Tx built this one) was not as diligent as they should have been, doesn't the installer have the ultimate responsilility to check everything out?
It turns out today they are saying it is the intake Manifanfold gasket was set improperly and something to do with the Silicone not in place or something like that. So it was leaking down through the bell housing that's why it was hard to isolate. Does this make sense to you guys? Did we need to pull the engine to find this out?
To be honest, I don't know if this guy is shooting straight with me."

"Newby,
If it were me and

"Newby,
If it were me and that engine lost oil as you said....I would want another engine.Period.In my case the engines were never fired before a thorough going over including a compression check.You have paid good money to recieve a product which you also have paid good money to have it installed.Did you pay the mechanic to get it, or did you hire him after you purchased it to install it?If he bought it-then it is his battle.Otherwise if this is the determined cause by all involved, then the manufacturer is on the hook, as this is a production issue.Now there are issues of who's paying the removal,re-install,oils and such,and lets not forget time delay.Soul searching on your end is required at this point.I personally think a lot of time has been compromised in that engines lifespan,if it lasts very long at all.Then it is another fight and down time.Breaking in an engine is an important step...without total oil is not good at all.Do not want to see an honest guy lose to someone elses mistake and that what I see here...Todd"

"Thanks very much for this inp

"Thanks very much for this input even if it does contribute to my nervious breakdown....
The mechanic lead me to TCM but asked me to pay them directly so I wrote them a check for $2400. this was suppossed to be "cost" 3 weeks later the crated motor arrived and I paid the mechanic $1000 to bolt it in.
I have a couple of questions: If my warning alarm churped when I decelerated, the oil pressure gauge was notably low, I stopped and there was no oil on the dipstick I added 4 quarts which brought the level to full. (did i run it dry of oil or was there still sufficent oil in the pan to avoid long term damage?) I ran it at idle speed back to the marina and had to add a quart at one point because I was stopping to check it every few minutes. Is there a way I can ask the mechanic to certify/verify there was no long term damage? Is a compression check enough. Of course he is saying it will be good to go but I'm sure he does not want the hassle. I wonder if it's fesible to ask for a new motor and just run this one until the new one get's here and he can install it. (core exchange issue?)I doubt they will do it, is there a way to force them too even if they say it's fine?"

"The mech. threw the medicine

"The mech. threw the medicine ball in your lap when you purchased the engine. A discussion w/your attorney is in order which may keep you drydocked this season. Have your attorney call the mfg., explain what has happened and ask them what they want to do about the defective Friday built engine. If they stand behind their work then they will take care of you labor and all."

"From your reply above,Newby,y

"From your reply above,Newby,you pretty much answered all the questions in my opinion about that motor and would follow Guy's advice in this deal.If you run it...it will end up under your insurance soon as a claim when it lets loose.If you try to to settle this issue,you may end up giving someone a loop-hole to go out the backdoor,whereas a lawyer will make those involved scramble and possibly help with the down time and his fees,depending on how hard you push.By rights this weekend you should have been riding the boat,not dealing with someone elses error......Todd"

"The silicone you refer to is

"The silicone you refer to is used in place of the rubber or cork gaskets that were used before under the manifold. Even so, you should not lose 4 quarts from it, a mist to make things dirty but not a liquid leak.Maybe someone could post a pic of an engine mainu the intake.Once it`s removed I would run it in a test bed to determine exactly what was leaking."

Hold it!

Sounds like a lack

Hold it!

Sounds like a lack of proper crankcase ventilation. Had the same issue with my reman 5.7L. Spewed oil out the front main seal.
The original corrugated hoses that are just kind of dangling in front of the intake don't get the job done.
I replaced the hoses with real hoses and directed the crankcase vent lines into the top of the flame arrestor with a "t" and a pcv valve. The slight vacuum on the crankcase eliminated the oil leakage.

Man you are my hero if that&#3

Man you are my hero if that's what it is. He pulled the motor checked all the likely suspects attached the oil filter to the block with a direct adaptor. Put it back in we ran it this weekend and it did the same thing!!!. Troy what you are saying really sounds on the money>

"I had to copy you guys on an

"I had to copy you guys on an email I sent to this mechanic. I little pressure in the information age never hurt anybody. At the end of the day I just want to take my family out on my boat, I don't want to fight. But if he screws me I will be his worst nightmare. I held off on the advise about getting attorneys and stuff for now}. I think this will let him know that even through I am new at this, He can't take advantage of our members. This is a great association. God bless america!

Dale,

I have poled a national association of marine operators of which I am a member and I am attaching some comments that I have received through the local chapter, these are experienced owners and techs. I hope this helpful. I have not named you yet at this association at all because that would not be my style.

Please try and fix this as soon as possible….. My wife is kicking my a**.

Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 09:47 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rear main seal for a counter-rotation installed by accident, dislodged pan gasket, remote oil filter O ring, hose fitting, cut hose, valve cover leak, dist.gasket missing,pan drain plug loose/leaking,
oil pressure sender, cam plug in rear of engine, rear oil gallery plugs,
Worst case: extreme blow-by from rings, or a holed piston

Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 09:16 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The silicone you refer to is used in place of the rubber or cork gaskets that were used before under the manifold. Even so, you should not lose 4 quarts from it, a mist to make things dirty but not a liquid leak. Maybe someone could post a pic of an engine mainu the intake. Once it`s removed I would run it in a test bed to determine exactly what was leaking.

Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 05:54 am:

Hold it!

Sounds like a lack of proper crankcase ventilation. Had the same issue with my reman 5.7L. Spewed oil out the front main seal.
The original corrugated hoses that are just kind of dangling in front of the intake don't get the job done.
I replaced the hoses with real hoses and directed the crankcase vent lines into the top of the flame arrestor with a "t" and a pcv valve. The slight vacuum on the crankcase eliminated the oil leakage

Robert Coffey
Vice President/General Manager
Main Street Bank
(281) 348-2030 Direct
(281) 348-2079 Fax
[email protected]"

"Robert:

You did the right

"Robert:

You did the right thing. I always add near the end of my polite tirade "I want to resolve this issue so we can both walk away with a WIN WIN result. What can we do?

Per my attorney: NEVER EVER threaten anyone with legal action; you give them the extra time to clean up and leave town. Just take the legal action w/o their knowledge; they'll know when they get served.
biggrin.gif
"

I also agree that accidents ha

I also agree that accidents happen at times and mistakes come along now and then.But this is a biggy here in price and regardless of what the cause...I surely would not want that motor.Just my opinion and want Newby to be able to take his family out whenever he wishes and not worry about getting back...Todd

Back