Logo

Gear oil dripping from lower unit

fireguy

I have a 1979 alpha 1 stern dr

I have a 1979 alpha 1 stern drive. There is gear oil leaking out of the small drain hole near the bottom of the unit. What would cause this??

"George...

Hello New Dundee

"George...

Hello New Dundee.

"There is gear oil leaking out of the small drain hole near the bottom of the unit".

I'm sure that the gear oil was changed in the fall for winterization. (or atleast it should've been), 17 degrees yesterday and 14 today has things starting to flow again. Are you talking about the drain hole for the leg gear oil? If so, there may have been some oil left around the drain plug, and now its running like maple syrup. The seal on the plug may be damaged and leaking. Check to make sure it is screwed in tight. If it is, you may be looking at putting a new seal on that plug.
If its not the drain plug, refer to Bt DR. above.

Wrench"

"Wrench:

Mine was dripping

"Wrench:

Mine was dripping before I left for TN last week from last fall service. Turns out big old dummy me put 2 gaskets on the vent screw.
crazy.gif
"

"Guy,
Can sit here and hone

"Guy,
Can sit here and honestly tell you that as I was scrolling down and reading....having 2 gaskets on is what I was going to write.I am in the same clubhouse as you on this one.Early on in my racing days I rushed to the track one night and had to put the filter and oil in a 350 performance engine.Problem was that old oil filter seal stayed on the block, and new filter made it 2.Fired up and guys came running as oil running like water.Almost lost that puppy.
Perhaps this is Georges problem as those can hide in there pretty easy...Todd"

Sometimes I have to pick the g

Sometimes I have to pick the gasket out of the hole w/a tiny thin bladed SD.

Back