Logo

Engine Room Extinguisher

richie

Regular Contributor
I just received the renewal pa

I just received the renewal papers for the insurance on my 35MY. It says I need to have the automatic fire bottle in the engine room weighed once a year so my policy will remain in effect. Has anyone ever heard of this.

This is a large bottle and it will be no easy task removing it and taking it somewhere to be weighed. I don't even know where to take it.

richie

"Your automatic engine room ex

"Your automatic engine room extinguisher is a halon or halon replacement gas extinguisher depending on it's age.(halon harms the ozone layer so it's outlawed to make more, hence the substitute gas) The only way to tell if the gaseous agent inside has escaped is by weighing it. On the bottle will be the acceptable weight(s). Any good fire extinguisher company can weigh and service it for you. Make sure you keep your paperwork to prove it was serviced.

K"

"if your boat is on the older

"if your boat is on the older side it may be beneficial to you to skip the weighing this year and purchase a new type fire suppression bottle. They are not cheap but you will thank yourself if anything happens. I got mine from west marine, they have all types."

"Properly serviced the old sys

"Properly serviced the old system is just as reliable as a new system. If you do decide to replace, be sure to have the old system properly recycled. Talk to an extinguisher company for further information."

"The point I'm trying to m

"The point I'm trying to make here is the problem in weighing the bottle and the fact the insurance company requires it. These companies look for any way thery can find to not honor a claim.

Most companies will cover wind and high water damage unless it is associated with a named storm, i.e. tropical or hurricane."

"They may look for reasons not

"They may look for reasons not to pay, but if it was you paying, wouldn't you want the maintenance done? The Coast Guard requires that your other extinguisher(s) are checked annually also. If you've ever had or seen a boat fire at the dock where help is relatively easy to get, not to mention out in the middle somewhere, the extra effort is worth it. At least to me.

Of course the other option is to not have the insurance. Then you would just pay for any loss yourself and be free to not do any prevention.

K"

"Do they ever come to the boat

"Do they ever come to the boat to certify and check the extinguishers or do I need to take them all somewhere, the engine room one is the one that is the problem, not going to be easy getting it out plus it weighs 30 lbs.

richie"

"Depending on where you are, y

"Depending on where you are, yes they do make house calls. My Club has the fellow down 2-3 times per year, posts a notice and anyone who wants theirs done can do it at that time.

I hear you say that it's a problem getting it out, but I don't think there is any other way. To check the unit he needs to look for corrosion, rust, etc on the cylinder, the discharge port, etc.

I would suggest that if its in such a bad location that taking it out once per year is too much trouble, then you need to remount it where it's more accessible.

They will not accept a guage reading."

Back