Logo

1971 Johnson 60hp Hydro electric

joejackson

"Hi i was wondering if i could

"Hi i was wondering if i could get some help. I bought a Johnson Outboard that runs, but needed some electrical work done on if. I got most of it done nut now i'm have trouble wiring up the transmission in it. I read on another blog how to test it, but i need to know how it wires up to a dash switch. The guy i bought it off of cut the wires coming from the dash. So i got the ignition hooked back up and got it running again. But i can't figure out the tranny. If some could tell me what color of wires come out of the harness, and what kinda switch i need, and how to power it. Thanks"

"there was never a factory das

"there was never a factory dash switch,..evin had push buttons,yours had a roller switch in control box...blue and green are the wire colors going to lower unit,..i believe,grn is neautral,both wires are rev and it is spring loaded in forward."

"Posted on Saturday, July 21,

"Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:30 pm:
--------this was copied from one of joe's posts--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Hydro Electric Shift)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Preminum Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire."

so how can i set it up? Can it

so how can i set it up? Can it be wired to a switch instead? Or how does it wire up in the control box?

"It can,and i have wired to a

"It can,and i have wired to a switch on dash,...BUT,..this is a HUGE safety concern.blue green to sw in box...lets get some other opinions on this dash switch situation,...and we can gladly,and easily, tell u how to wire it.Dont want my name to turn to mud,telling a person a dangerous way to wire his control...right."

Electric shift is "' E

Electric shift is "' ELEGANTLY SIMPLE " With engine running 12 volts to green wire for nuetral and 12 volts to the green and blue to get reverse. No power to either wire for forward. HOW HARD IS THAT??

"I understand about 12 volts t

"I understand about 12 volts to blue and green, but how can i control this when shifting with the trottle if there is no wires going to it.. I need to know how to run the wires to either a control switch of some sort or to the origianl way into the shifter."

"the control box,for that eng,

"the control box,for that eng,had a roller switch,which,is now well over 100.00 dlrs...
It sounds like,someone already had a dash switch to control this function."

"As JWB states, this bypass sw

"As JWB states, this bypass switch setup is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons BUT can be used with a great amount of caution.

(Toggle Shift Switch Setup For The Hydro Electric Shift Unit)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE (Disclaimer) - The following toggle setup will suffice BUT it is extremely dangerous. Should you use it, you are agreeing to use it at your own risk with myself disavowng any responsibility for its design or use.

Due to the unavailability of the "Push Button" (Evinrude) or "Toggle Type" (Johnson) shift switch that is required for the "Hydro Electric Shift" type lower units that existed between 1968 and 1972, many boaters have asked how they could rig up a toggle switch to perform this shifting function. There may be much better solutions but the following is what I have come up with.

One must keep in mind that wiring a toggle switch in such a manner allows one to accidently shift from forward to reverse at full throttle. This could and probably has resulted in injuries to boaters, not to mention the mechanical damage. Should this or any other problems arise/occur, I am in no way to be held responsible for the toggle switch to shift switch replacement mentioned here.

For the above reason, I strongly suggest that the toggle switch have a hinged hard case cover installed over it so that the toggle can never be thrown/toggled accidentally.

Now, with a single pole double throw toggle switch installed so the "Green" wire connection is facing up or away from you, make the following connections to the terminals on the back of the toggle switch.

......O <--- Green Wire

......O <--- 12 volt Supply

......O <--- Blue Wire

Now, between the Green wire and Blue wire terminal on the toggle switch, connect a diode capable of handling 12 volts (available at Radio Shack etc). Be sure to install the diode so that the voltage will travel from the Blue wire connection to the Green wire connection only...... and not vice versa!

Now, if you have installed the switch as above, with the toggle pulled all the way back (towards yourself), contact will be made between the 12v supply and the Green connection. This puts the unit in Neutral. The diode prevents any voltage from gaining access to the Blue connection.

Pushing the toggle lever to the middle position results in no voltage being supplied to either wire. This results in the spring loaded clutch shifter dog in the lower unit throwing the unit into forward gear.

Pushing the toggle switch lever all the way to the front position will have the center 12 volt supply connected to the Blue wire connection, and due to the diode, that 12 volt supply will also be supplied to the Green wire. This results in having the unit in reverse gear.

When time permits, visit my store (copy/paste) at: stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

lm/ab/mg & present temp id, lighten up."

Used controls can be plentiful

Used controls can be plentiful in some areas---How much would you be prepared to pay for a good working control or the proper switch for your control box??

I am about 3-1/2 hrs away and

I am about 3-1/2 hrs away and will be in WINDSOR late MAY.40 years experience and plenty of used parts.

"Thanks. It looks like the pre

"Thanks. It looks like the previous owner had a dash switch to control the shifting, but he cut all the wires for it. So thanks everyone for you information. I have one more question. On the lower unit there is 2 plugs, one at the bottom the drain plug for the tranny and on alittle higher up. Is the higher on a FLUSH port or a FILL port for the tranny? And how much oil does the tranny hold?"

OUTBOARD motors are filled fro

OUTBOARD motors are filled from the bottom till oil comes out the top.There is no other way.It is not referred to as a tranny but rather a shifting lower unit.

Back