Logo

Starter Solenoid

kevgrn114

"Well I took it out yesterday

"Well I took it out yesterday after the impeller replacement and changing the lower unit oil. The temp never got over 140. YEAH!!! And I never had any vapor lock trouble, probably because the motor never got too hot. YEAH!!!
I think this might just be a simi-dependable boat.
One more thing now... when I try to start it the starter is making a noise. It starts to engage and sounds fine then it stop turning the motor over and just making a loud free spinning metalic sound.
could this be the solenoid going out or the starter motor going out?"

"Bt Dr. is probably 99.999% co

"Bt Dr. is probably 99.999% correct.
Check the battery voltage at both ends of the cable; it should not lose more than 0.02 VDC. The voltage should be about 13.5 VDC at full charge. Check it before starting and again when it just spins. If it drops way down, it could cause and/or contribute to your starter demise.

Pull the starter, take it to a reman. shop and have it checked out and serviced."

"Kevin...
While having the st

"Kevin...
While having the starter off (re: Guy's post above), take a look at the flywheel. You will need a good light, possible mirror, handycam, whatever. Get a socket and ratchet on the front crank bolt and slowly turn the engine over with the ratchet. You may also want to take the sparkplugs out to make the spinning of the engine easier. Take a look at ALL the teeth on the flywheel and see what kind of shape they are in. Check for an area that has 4 or 5 teeth ground half way off. That'll be your problem spot. This may occure at a couple of different places around the ring gear. The way you discribe your problem, I agree with BT Doctur that you will need both, but on the odd occasion you will get lucky and only need the starter drive and not a ring gear on the flywheel. Replacing the flywheel is a huge job, very labour intensive, and expensive. It would be great if it didn't actually need to be done.

Wrench"

Back