Logo

Exhaust bellows

teckles

can a mechanicaly inclined per

can a mechanicaly inclined person replace the exhaust bellows for a alpha 1 gen II (built in 1992)?

"By all means.
If you are goi

"By all means.
If you are going to do this I would change all the bellows and water hose at the same time. Also check your gimbal bearing, U joints, and engine alignment while you have the drive leg off. Your 1992 U joints should be greasable.

Rod"

"perhaps trim senders as well.

"perhaps trim senders as well.If you aren't going to do the rest of these things...I would run without the exhaust bellow,as it is not needed and wait till money is saved up to do it all at once,and know everything is OK....Todd"

"thanks for the info, but does

"thanks for the info, but does the foot have to come off to only replace the exhaust bellow?
it appears to be held on by an "o" clamp on either ends but they look like they can be reached while it is still on the boat.

I have some dryrot in the accordion (not torn thru yet and they are still watterproof as of now) of the this bellow only and I am trying to hold off 1 more year to get them all replaced. or is there some kind of sealant that will stay supple that I can put on it to seal it up for now (I know I am boating at my own risk but...)"

Trey....run it and have fun fo

Trey....run it and have fun for another year.In reality you can run without this bellow.But there is no kidding around as far as the shift and drive bellows are concerned.Your boat could possibly sink with issues there....Todd

"[ but does the foot have to

"[ but does the foot have to come off to only replace the exhaust bellow? ]

No, but you have to work very carefully to not damage the shift cable bellows, which is much more fragile. You could actually cut thru the exhaust bellows to remove easier. But replacing the bellows would be more difficult. To have working room you would have to have the unit somewhat tilted back, clamp one end, and try to get other end clamped while stretching the bellows to reach the second mount. Like, you would need three hands in there with hardly room for one.
But, you could use an "exhaust tube" which replaces the bellows (see links in right column to find bellows parts for mercruiser). The tube clamps only at the front and would be easy to put into position."

""I have some dryrot in th

""I have some dryrot in the accordion (not torn thru yet"

How's your insurance? I hope you have a stated policy and not "book value" policy. Of course, many insurance claims for sunken boats are denied for failure to maintain a serviceable item like an old bellows.
sad.gif

Do you have a good battery and auto. bilge pump? Just in case...you know...it starts to sink at the dock when the bellows splits and a thunderstorm of biblical proportion rolls in on you.
uhoh.gif
"

"Like you would need 3 han

"Like you would need 3 hands in there with only room for 1"....you are right on the money on that....Todd

Back