Logo

CRACKED BLOCK OR MANIFOLD

ctroger24

"In December I bought a 1985 S

"In December I bought a 1985 Searay that has a Mercruiser 305(Chevy). I was told it had a cracked block when I bought it. I figured I wanted to be sure, so when it warmed up outside I tried to start it. It started right up. I let it run with water running through it for a good 30 minutes. The temp gauge is broke but the engine did not overheat at all. It had good oil pressure, ran good, and had no water in the block. There was also no water coming out of the block anywhere. It did have a little steam coming from the exhaust but I was told this could be fogging oil. I then took it out on the water to see if it would do anything different under load. I took it out and ran it for a good 1.5 hours at 3000-4000rpm non-stop and it maintained good oil pressure, didn't overheat, and ran well. It did however, die when I put it in forward or reverse from idle unless I put it in fast(idle adjustement?). Maybe just a cracked exhaust manifold leaking water into the exhaust? It is raw water cooled. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would rather replace an exhaust manifold before an engine. Thank you."

sounds like a bad shift cable

sounds like a bad shift cable . you would have known real fast if the block was cracked.

"Some guys have all the Luck<[

"Some guys have all the Luck
smile.gif

Bert"

"well,i did pick up a car once

"well,i did pick up a car once. owner thought he blew the trans, forgot to tighten the converter bolts, they fell out."

"If you are running the engine

"If you are running the engine on the trailer with a water hose, it is common to see some steam. Usually caused by hot exhaust and cool air and water.
That shifting problem could be just a couple turns on the shift adj. cable and or lube all the pivot points."

"Ayuh,.....

So Far,... It s

"Ayuh,.....

So Far,... It sounds like you need to replace the cracked Manifolds,+ the Lower Shift Cable...."

If the engine dies when puttin

If the engine dies when putting into gear it's probably too much friction in the shift cable making the shift (kill) switch engage. The shift switch should only engage when shifting to neutral. Check the switch when putting into forward or reverse. It should not engage.

"Would still check the oil for

"Would still check the oil for a higher level and any signs of water.I would also take her for another spin and when cooled enough,but still warm,would change plugs also looking for water.Would do this just to be sure before investing in manifolds....Todd"

Back