Logo

Gimbal bearing

gkm24

Regular Contributor
I just removed my gimbal beari

I just removed my gimbal bearing today on my Alpha I Gen II. i was quite shocked as to how much force was required to get the bearing out. I had to drill the outer ring in the end in 4 places to reduce the pressure and anable it's removal. is it usual to have to use this much force? i have not fitted the new one yet but will probably wince every time I hammer it in. Any tips etc??

"sometimes a slide hammer is u

"sometimes a slide hammer is used.If you must hammer it in, use a suitable steel collar to prevent deforming the ring. If deformed ,it will not be seated fully and it will catch on the U joints makeing a racket with full stbd or full port.."

Be sure to line up the grease

Be sure to line up the grease hole on the bearing to the housing and clean seating surface before installing.

"Graham,
After doing many

"Graham,
After doing many of these...I am in belief that,yes, you do need to use that much force.Only had a few that came out what I would call resonable.The rest were a pain in the....,but to most, this is normal.And I do have a large slide hammer that does finally get them.
For installing I have a thick walled pipe that was cut square on both ends with a plate welded at one end to hammer on.Puts those babies right in nicely and evenly....Todd"

"Thanks for the re-assurance.

"Thanks for the re-assurance. I dont like to use too much force on these things. I did use a slide hammer to get it out but it was'nt easy. I have had a tool made up to get it back in, so should go well. I have the manual for refitting the water pipe and bellows etc. Any other tips greatly appreciated."

"Nothing like a set of shadetr

"Nothing like a set of shadetree tools.What ya have to do to save the almighty buck so you can buy gas this summer.
My friend Tom wrote in another thread about using a hair dryer to soften the bellows for easier instalation, and thought I would pass this along.Also lift and drop the drive a few times watching the water hose for kinks as this will cause overheating for you....Todd"

Back