Logo

Lower unit removal

dawgs

Regular Contributor
why cant i remove my lower uni

why cant i remove my lower unit? all bolts are off....still wont break free

"what engine?..but my guess,..

"what engine?..but my guess,..is shift rod is still connected,.....but,..thats just me."

sorry....1986 150 hp evinrud

sorry....1986 150 hp evinrude.

yes shift rod is still connected...how do i disconnect it

ok shift rod is disconnected b

ok shift rod is disconnected but the lower unit still wont break free. feels like its getting hung up....it only dropped about 1/16 of an inch

NOW WHAT?

how do i determin that? whe

how do i determin that? when i lift the rod it goes into gear. when i lower it it goes into gear. in the middle is in neutral and prop spis freely. does that mean anything?

"All the bolts , including the

"All the bolts , including the one hidden by the trim tab???"

"if the driveshaft spline are

"if the driveshaft spline are siezed, it won't effect operation at all. it just won't come off. after you've double checked bolts, etc. get some wedges, and be carefull not to break the case. sometimes it helps to stand it on it's head (not so easy on a 150) and run some penetrating oil up the shaft. no easy answers for this problem. if it's a customer job, call him now and tell him to expect the worst. it just depends how stuck (rusted) it is"

i looked 50 times for more bol

i looked 50 times for more bolts...im %100 sure there arent any more.

well %99 ill look again

if its seized is it useless to

if its seized is it useless to keep trying? or will it eventually let free?

"it might. try driving wedges

"it might. try driving wedges between upper, lower. it all depends if it comes loose or you break the case first. be patient, and it might come. good luck."

what are the bolted on plates

what are the bolted on plates on each side of the mid section? will the expose the shaft if opened?

"Take down cover #26 on enclos

"Take down cover #26 on enclosed pic, and You will see the drive shaft. Put wedges between leg and gear housing, hit the driveshaft as close to the engine as possible by using a brass rod and hammer. Between every hit turn the engine 1/8 turn. This will normally shock the shaft loose from the splines. A bit of work, easiest with 2 people. Follow up with the wedges to keep up the pressure.
149639.gif
"

morten will that DEFINATELY ex

morten will that DEFINATELY expose the shaft? if so what keeps the water from running down the shaft into the lower unit? reason im asking is if its a rubber seal then i should avoid using heat right?

"It is not a rubber, it is the

"It is not a rubber, it is the front cover under the lower cover. Using heat is no idea, You will only burn the most including upper rubber mounts and crankshaft seal!"

so under that cover i will def

so under that cover i will definately be able to expose and see the shaft? thanks in advance

well both front and back cover

well both front and back covers are off and all i see is the metal casing....no shaft

tried more wedges...no good...

tried more wedges...no good....buttoned her up and i will try to get one more season from this impeller......SUCKS

"maybe some run time will free

"maybe some run time will free the splines up a bit. next time you attempt removal, don't let it sit."

Back