Logo

Change from Inboard to Outboardever been done

mt5425

"Anyone ever heard of tearing

"Anyone ever heard of tearing out the inboard engine and mounting an outboard on? I have a 27' Four Winns with a mid engine set up, and am tired of having about 2" or clearance around the engine. I've seen the outboard mounting tables on alot of boats my size and was wondering if I could just go with a couple of outboards on the rear to eliminate the inboard mid engine set-up. Any ideas?"

"Sure, it's not uncommon a

"Sure, it's not uncommon although you should get ready to write a really big check.

It's probably 40K+ to buy two V/6 outboards with the necessary controls and harnesses and the bracket. Then you need to reinforce the transom to support it, remove all the components of the I/O and fill the holes.

I've only seen it done on used boats using used O/Bs and doing the labor yourself, otherwise you may as well take that money and buy the boat you actually want, it's cheaper and much less aggravation.

Oh, by the way, look for your fuel bill to double."

"Ayuh,....

I've seen it

"Ayuh,....

I've seen it done on a few boats,....
All were sold, or Junked, the following season because moving all that weight aft tends to make them handle like $h!t......"

"Also, the transom would need

"Also, the transom would need MAJOR strengthening to keep from ripping off. Better stick with the inboard.

Jeff"

Back