Logo

extra 0rings in gasket set for bellhousing

david_ray

Regular Contributor
"First, thanks again for earli

"First, thanks again for earlier replies in getting started on the revamp of the Alpha 1 drive unit that was leaking water into the bilge. On pulling system apart, I found the the exhaust and drive shaft bellows were in perfect shape, and only the shift cable bellows was torn. However I will replace all, plus water hose and impellor. While at it, I am also replacing all six trim system hoses.

Have ordered all parts, to arrive next week.

I notice the online pictures of the bell housing gasket set shows several o-rings that I do not yet know where they go, or if are actually used on my drive. When taking apart my 1988 model Alpha 1 drive, I found the large flat bell housing gasket, an o-ring for the water passage, and the large ring that fits in the drive shaft opening. But the gasket set picture shows a couple of smaller o-rings that do not appear to exist on my unit.

Can you tell me what these small o-rings are for, or do they simply make the gasket set adaptible for a wider range of drive unit models?

Thanks, and maybe this will be the last question I have for this job."

"Look at the input shaft of th

"Look at the input shaft of the drive where the gimbal bearing rides, you`ll see 2 grooves . thats where the O rings go"

Thank you - since I have not r

Thank you - since I have not received gasket package I was not sure of their actual size to better enable spotting a location. I do see the o-rings on the drive shaft.
Anxious for parts to arrive - meanwhile I will start polishing the boat if weather permits.

"David,
Sounds like you a

"David,
Sounds like you are well on your way.I would also recommend replacing the water hose elbow at the top end of that hose, where it goes thru the transom.They were made of either copper or plastic and for a few bucks would add that.Also look at your trim sender wires.Most of the time its the wire coating that goes bad on these,leaving bare wires that soon will not work....Just some ideas....Todd"

"Help -- o-rings still not ide

"Help -- o-rings still not identified...

Parts arrived today, and on checking inventory, I see the o-ring identification is not settled. Included in the gasket set are four normal shaped o-rings:
A. 1-3/8" ID - sized to fit the water passage in bellhousing face.

B. 1-1/16" ID - unknown use location - looks like it could go on the horizonal drive shaft fore of the u-joint, but there is only one of this size o-ring. Shaft now has two o-rings mounted that look good.

C. Two 7/8" ID - unknown use location - too large for the verticle drive shaft in lower housing (which only uses one o-ring).

So question remains: use/location for the three seemingly extra o-rings?

Any further suggestions? I start installation in the morning."

"are they maybe for a model dr

"are they maybe for a model drive you don't have? (ie the kit is a generice alpha kit, not gen specific?) I helped someone rebuild an omc sterndrive a while back and we had stuff in the kit that wasn't there due to the kit covering all models.

--chris"

"chris,
That is the only poss

"chris,
That is the only possibility I see. Having taken all this stuff apart and now starting to put it back together, I have not seen any position these three o-rings could be used. After today it won't matter any longer. Thanks!"

Back