Logo

Ethanol gascan i use it

rich_b

Contributing Member
1971 searay with a straight 6

1971 searay with a straight 6 cylinder (250).gas station just installed a ethanol gas pump.it is a dollar cheaper a gallon than regular gas.can i use it and what will it do to my engine.

"No problem with the engine. Y

"No problem with the engine. You might want to check fuel tanks, if they are fiberglass to make sure that it is compatable with ethanol fuel."

"tank will be fine....but have

"tank will be fine....but have a few fuel filters kept on hand as you will want to replace them often as the fuel will start to clean the inside of your tank.Guess where that material will go?Into the filters, so stay on top of things.I would also keep an eye on your fuel lines as well....Todd"

No problem then. You might wan

No problem then. You might want to heed Todd's advise about the filters as the ethanol could break loose old varnishy deposits built up in the tank.

Richard
Do you know what the

Richard
Do you know what the percentage ethanol is in the mix ?
One thing we have found from experiance over here in the land of Oz is that when the percentage of ethanol in the blend exceeds much over 10% we can get rapid deteriation of some rubber components so just be aware of that and keep a good watch on your fuel filtration system.

Cheers
Peter C

"Also, you'll need a good

"Also, you'll need a good water separator since ethanol has an affinity for water--it sucks it right in through the vent.

It also delivers less gas mileage--keep that in mind when you pay less for it.

Jeff"

""It also delivers less ga

""It also delivers less gas mileage." Jeffy, if the motor uses more fuel per hour/mile, do you have to enlarge the carb main jets to prevent lean burning? Reason I ask is that back in the fifties we ran an alky mod stock car and had to double the jet size. As I recall, that was methanol, not ethanol. (Heck, ethanol was for drinking!) Would that make a difference? I recall the intake manifold had ice on it after a run. Ah, those were the good ol' days! More and more gas here bears "Up to 10^ ethanol content." But I can't tell any difference in mileage on my cars with or without. Why's that?? JW in Dixie"

"Warren:

So far (knock

"Warren:

So far (knock wood) the jets/ mixture is okay. We're using only (thank God!) ten percent ethanol for now, and the motors seem to be okay. The plugs come out dead white, but it's a marine engine under load, so...

Jeff"

Back