Logo

Gen 2 drive gear ground completly

dolphin54

my sister bought a 1993searay

my sister bought a 1993searay twin engine alpha1 gen 2 outdrive could a shift linkage cause complete destruction of upper drive and driven gears.lower still turns.A mechanic said fishing line also can cause.also can standard parts be used counter rotation. should i try partial rebuild with shop or used or reman? thanks foradvice

"Running out of oil is what us

"Running out of oil is what ususally causes upper gear failure.
You need a reman unit, or you could replace with an SEI bolt on replacement.

Rod"

ok thanks any idea on best way

ok thanks any idea on best way to stop loss of merccruiser do to fishline.It apperently happened on a short 4 hour trip?

"keep the lines away from the

"keep the lines away from the prop. if you foul one, remove the prop and get it out."

ok thanks Is it correct that c

ok thanks Is it correct that counterrotation occurs in lower part of drive.I could get used regular drive and change out the damaged upper after having lower unit flushed out and inspected?

"Ayuh,....

Bolting a New Up

"Ayuh,....

Bolting a New Upper to your Trashed lower is only going to cause Another Melt Down....
The Lower needs a Complete Tear Down,+ Rebuild before it can be run,... It's no doubt Full of the filings from the Trashed Upper......

It'll probably be Cheaper to just replace the Whole Drive with a SIE aftermarket Drive....."

yes thankyou I've heard th

yes thankyou I've heard the lower should be carefully inspected by someone who knows about them. A shop is checking if possible to save will be cheaper.

"I helped someone with a seize

"I helped someone with a seized upper that was an OMC. It was run low on oil and hard locked out on the water. There was no evidence of shavings anywhere so we just rebuilt the top half, and drained sample oil from the bottom during the course of the season to check. "All" it did was hard lock the vertical driven gears in thier bearing race...Took a 50ton press to push that mess apart. The top half of the thing is relatively simple to do(at least the OMC was) good luck

--chris"

Back