Logo

1986 Baja Sport 200 Shifting Problems Chevy 350 260v8 Alpha One

mmorris4200

"This problem seems to be gett

"This problem seems to be getting worse. Sometimes when I put the boat in forward gear, it will not go into gear. When this happens, I can put the boat into reverse gear for a second and then back into forward gear and it kicks in with out any problems.

Most of the time, it goes right into gear with no shifting problems, but it is starting to happen now about once or twice everytime I take it out now. When it does not go into gear, the motor races, but no movement. When it does kick into gear, sometimes it kicks in pretty hard. Any ideas on where to look for a problem? Thank you."

"Assuming you change your dive

"Assuming you change your dive fluid every year or 50 hours, how recently was it last changed, and were there any metal filings or particles in it?
You don't say that the engine dies when you shift into gear ever. If this was happening it is almost certainly lower shift cable.

If it does not die, it may be the upper shift cable is dry or kinked. It may also be the throttle/shift quadrant needs servicing, or is worn out.

Rod"

"Ayuh,.....

Your lower shif

"Ayuh,.....

Your lower shift cable is Junk,.... Change it....."

Back