"OK, so I started a thread a w

"OK, so I started a thread a week ago about my 350
that got hydrolocked from water leaking in thru the
intake manifold. Seems the intake likely was warped
from an overheat the prior year.

The recirc pump snaped off after changing the v-belts. Well,
now the overhaul is about to begin.

I will try to take pictures and post insight along
the way. We are swapping a chevy 350 (non-vortec)
engine for a vortec 355 CI (bored 30 over) from
blueprint engines.

We are also adding full closed cooling on a alpha 1 outdrive.
Replacing the bellows and servicing the outdrive with a new
outdrive pump. We'll also be replacing the
trim sender units as well.

The real question is whether 60-70 degree water
will be enough to keep her cool. Or whether we'll
need another camshaft pump to suck up enough
water.

Yes, we are smart enough not to floor-it out
of the whole and spin the outdrive. So, we being on Friday 4th...

Taking out the old engine, redoing the bildge, etc. Then preping for
the new engine and moving over parts.

Yes, we are do-it-yourselfers and proud of it.
Its all about the tools. My goal is a week and
a half... My buddy thinks it'll be done faster...
We'll see.

I'll post specifics and pictures as parts being to arrive."

If you are buying a closed coo

If you are buying a closed cooling system rated for a 5.7 it should work fine with the Alpha pump impeller.
Rod

"Should be about a 2 day job;

"Should be about a 2 day job; but it's good you are allowing a week or so.
Depending what all you are changing over from the old engine to the new, and what problems you run into doing that will have a lot to do with the time it takes.
The actual engine swap is quite quick with a proper hoist.

Don't forget to align your engine properly with an alignment tool.
The FWC system should bolt right on with no issues, if you got the correct model.

If your new package comes with a compatible 10 pin electrical plug that makes the wiring simple. Or are you swapping all wiring and engine electrical items over?

Don't forget to prime the new engine before first start up.
Rod"

"While speaking about engine h

"While speaking about engine hoists. Has anyone made any mods to a normally goose neck type engine hoist that can overcome the heights of the gunwale when working in a boat? Unfortunately I don't have access to an overhead crane and have to rely on the engine hoist with come-alongs and hand winches, which is a PITA.
Thanks
Bert"

"You could try taking the whee

"You could try taking the wheels or the axles off the trailer and putting it down on blocks to lower the gunwhale height. Naturally these blocks would be right in the way of the forward casters of your engine hoist. Murphy's Law in action.

The "reach" distance of a standard engine hoist is another limitation for boats, since the engine sits a long way from the side or the stern of the boat.

You may be better off renting a chain hoist and a cross beam type stand with casters, so that you can lift straight up, centered right over the engine bay.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Rod"

"On my brother in law's bo

"On my brother in law's boat we pulled the stern drive and made a make-shift crane out of two step ladders, a 4x4, and some high tensile rope with a pully. Granted it is lighter than an engine(even though its a 5l omc) but worked quite well. I envision some high up that lifts motor out of boat, pull boat forward, lower motor. For an engine, i'd prob use two 6x6s though"

Hold on here a minute.This is

Hold on here a minute.This is not the place to be trying cheap trial and error methods.First of all you will be at times putting yourself at risk if the engine cuts lose or something fails.Secondly...if that does happen you might be in need of another boat.Whats the price on being safe.Here is a suggestion for you and what I did.Call a local excavating company and when the engine is ready for lift...have them send their service truck out that has a mini crane.Perhaps you can catch one of these guys at a mini-mart and give him a few bucks.These trucks work very well for this...Todd

"Chris...

You're taking

"Chris...

You're taking your life into your hands using step ladders to support an engine. I wouldn't suggest that to anyone. Like Todd says, safety first. No sense spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair because an engine fell on you. At the very least you should be able to rig up something in your garage ceiling to pull an engine. 4 or 5 extra full length 2 x 6's, standing on edge, screwed in place against the ceiling joists will give a place for some sort of beam (6 pipes, heavy walled x 2 inch OD., 8 feet long, chained together laying across the joists) to hook a chain fall onto. I have a massive eye bolt in an 'I' beam that is the header for my roll up door on the shop. It works great. Some have to work outside, and may have to invent something else, but I wouldn't suggest stepladders. Sorry Chris.

Wrench"

Back