Logo

Constant beep on 496 mag

flhomesite

Once I turn on the key I get a

Once I turn on the key I get a constant beep on my 496 mag. I checked all fluids and they are full and I checked the impeller and that was fine. Any ideas?

"First, the alarm should sound

"First, the alarm should sound with the key turned on, as the oil pressure switch at least will be closed (low oil press). Once the engine starts, it should shut off.
Does it behave like this? Or does the alarm stay on after starting?

If the alarm stays on and its MPI it could be any number of things. You will need to get a dealer to read any stored codes and go from there.

If carbed the alarm can be only:
-low oil press
-high water temp
-low drive oil level
-low cooling water pressure (only later units)
-or a short in the wiring

These switches are all NO, so if any one of them closes, the circuit is completed and the alarm sounds. A wiring short will have the same effect.

To troubleshoot I would turn the key on and disconnect sensors one at a time, with the engine not running. If you find one that shuts off the alarm, bingo, it's likely a bad sensor.

Start with the oil press switch first, as it will be closed anyway, and you need to get that out of the circuit to troubleshoot the rest. Leave it disconnected.

Then disconnect the low cooling water switch if equipped; leave it disconnected. Then disconnect the high temp, then finally the drive oil. They are all connected in parallel with tan/blue wire BTW.

If you get to this point and it is still sounding, you have a short in the wiring. That will take some checking with a VOM to trace.

Rod"

Thanks for the info. It is MPI

Thanks for the info. It is MPI. Does the gas/water filter have a sensor. I did not see if it was full of water.

Where is the oil pressure sensor and the low cooling sensor located.

Thanks!

"Oil pressure sensor is down l

"Oil pressure sensor is down low on port side in front of the exhaust downpipe, near the oil filter, or filter adapter. It may also be just behind the distributor.

There is no low coolant. The coolant high temp sender is located on the T'stat housing.
There is no sensor on the fuel filter.
YOu will need the right wiring diagram to check the wire colors for an MPI system.

Rod"

"Hi,

I cannot find the oil

"Hi,

I cannot find the oil pressure sensor. My engine is a 2003. Is there a place that has pictures online?

Thanks for all your help!!"

"Most of the info given here d

"Most of the info given here does not apply to the 496, and isn't going to be of much help. Do yourself a favor and have someone with a scan tool connect up to your engine and find out whats really going on."

""Most of the info given h

""Most of the info given here does not apply to the 496, and isn't going to be of much help. Do yourself a favor and have someone with a scan tool connect up to your engine and find out whats really going on."

What he said."

Back