Logo

Halon

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
I'm looking at buy a boat

I'm looking at buy a boat that has a halon system in the engine compartment. I believe that a few years ago these were outlawed in race cars but not sure about boats.... if there not outlawed where do I get this system serviced and if its outlawed what do I need to do to convert it and make it up to date

"As far as I know, it wasn&#39

"As far as I know, it wasn't outlawed but is being phased out because it is a CFC. All Coast Guard 41 footers still have their Halon systems intact, many cutters do as well. Most new construction is going to CO2 flooding. You can still get it, but it is getting rarer and more $$."

"Depending on where you are, t

"Depending on where you are, they can still recharge a halon system, but only with recycled halon.. The manufacturing of new halon has been outlawed.. If your system needs it, and you can't find someone with 'scavanged' halon (getting harder to find, I guess thats the whole idea) you will have to replace it with a substitute fire system.. If I had to run around 'looking' for halon, I'd probably just replace the whole thing.."

Back