Logo

Question for Andrew Menkart

rod_stewart

Outstanding Contributor
"Andrew, I was just wondering

"Andrew, I was just wondering if there is any way to modify this forum so that whenever an ongoing discussion gets a new response it automatically jumps to the top of the list again?

I am active on a couple of other forums related to other interests, and they mostly seem to work that way. It is kind of handy as you can tell in an instant when you log on which discussions are active.

Please consider this request, and thanks on behalf of all the forum users for sponsoring and maintaining a very valuable site! Keep up the great work.

Regards,
Rod"

"Rod and John,

Thanks for t

"Rod and John,

Thanks for the input.

I have looked at it before and always thought it would cause more problems the benefits, but I will look again.

The problem tends to be when users fail to start a new thread for a new question. It would seem that that problem could snowball if the "active" threads were always on the top and a user saw a subject such as "Mercruiser cooling problem" and added his new Mercruiser cooling problem to that thread.

The best way to find out is probably to try it. I agree that it would be convenient to see the active threads at the top.

I will see if it can set it to work in one category rather than the whole board.

I will post an update here.

Thanks."

"Thanks Andrew.
I think it sh

"Thanks Andrew.
I think it should work out well because I have to believe that most people will read most of an existing thread first before pasting their comments, hopefully.

The board is self-policing also in that when someone jumps onto an existing thread with an unrelated comment or question, someone else will usually jump in and suggest that they start a new thread. As long as its done in a polite manner it seems to go over well.

Anyway we all appreciate that you will give it a try, and hey, if it does not work out, we can always go back, right?

Rod"

"Rod,

Yes it should be easy

"Rod,

Yes it should be easy to change it back. I will look at it this week and figure out how to change it.

Thanks."

"Okay, I have made the change

"Okay, I have made the change for the Mercruiser category only so we can see how it works.

New postings to a thread will move that thread to the top of the list, as it should have done with this one...."

Back