Logo

Gas gauge

jeremy27

Regular Contributor
"my gas gauge will not go bell

"my gas gauge will not go bellow a 1/4 of a tank,were is the float at to check to see if it is getting stuck.it is a 5.0l mer v8 in/out"

"disconnect the batteries

i

"disconnect the batteries

in the floor or the bow, look for access panels"

"I looked for one,the only thi

"I looked for one,the only thing i see is were the hoses go into the tank in front of the motor,it looks like a small hole with about 6-8 bolts.Is that it,i will look some more.thanks"

"the float is connected to the

"the float is connected to the sender.
disconnect the battery locate the tank sender(round disc with a pink and black or green wire), remove the scrrews/bolts. lift out sender"

"You are working w/a BOMB ther

"You are working w/a BOMB there--use a sealed flashlight when you open the tank. Close up the opening when you remove the sender since fuel fumes will exit the opening and lay in the bilge waiting for a source of ignition!
stop.gif
"

"would the float be getting st

"would the float be getting stuck or is there another way to check it,I've done tons of fuel pumps on cars,is it almost the same as a cars fuel pump."

The float is either worn out o

The float is either worn out of out of adj.

The pressure hose could be pinched anywhere. Most likely at the transom. Find the hose end and have someone watch the gauge while you blow on it to see if it moves. Check the tube attached to the gauge; it may have cracked.

"Guy is correct, the float is

"Guy is correct, the float is attached to a bar with an electrical sender and a long wire. Locate the top of the fuel tank, you will see 5-6 screws mark the location on the gas tank of the top screw with a black magic marker, the screw pattern is important because there are baffels within the tank and the sender must be placed exactly back as it came out. If the sender needs to be replaced you must measure its length, also several marine stores sell a gas tank sending unit.With the sending unit out of the tank, the fuel tank cocer replaced you can check that the sender is operatable by moving the sending arm and watching the gauge on the helm. MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE CLOSED OFF THE TANK COMPLETLY, THERE ARE NO GAS VAPERS WHAT SO EVER, extend the electrical lines using alagator clips tape over each clip with electrical tape so that there is no chance of an electrical short near the tank. Turn on the key and move the gas gauge arm up and down, you will be able to tell if the gauge falls to empty by a cfomplete rotation of the float arm.If this does not work, then there is a problem in the wiring( not likely, or the gauge is faulty.) BE EXTRA CAREFULL AROUND GAS TANKS."

"the gauge will go up when i p

"the gauge will go up when i put gas in it,i put gas in the other day and it went to a 1/2 tank but when im on the lake for awhile the gauge will not go bellow a 1/4,i ran out the other day because i was looking at the gauge and was thinking it was right.don't want that to happen again, thank god the wife wasn't there or she would have fliped out,i had to wait on my brother to go get his boat and come get me.not fun"

Jeremy;
Your speedo hose may

Jeremy;
Your speedo hose may have become disconnected or it may be plugged with a bit of weed or some such thing.

If it's an Alpha I you likely have a separate pitot pickup mounted on your stern with tubing coming up the outside of the transom and entering the boat near the top of the transom. The pickup may be plugged.

If it's an Alpha Gen II check the white plastic fitting just above and behind the flat aluminum anode plate halfway up the front of the drive leg.

You can also disconnect the tube at the speedo head and blow backward to make sure it is clear. If plugged try blowing it out with 20 or 30 psig of air pressure.

Rod

"is that the little white thin

"is that the little white thing that is on the bottem of the boat in the back,it hangs off the boat alittle on the bottem back by the outdrive."

"Yes. It should hang down a li

"Yes. It should hang down a little below the bottom of your hull, and there should be a small black tube connected to the top.

Rod"

"yes i found it and i blew air

"yes i found it and i blew air threw it and the gauge went up,so we wil see next time I'm at the lake.thanks"

"Sounds like it should work.

"Sounds like it should work.
OK, at the risk of sounding silly, make sure you rotate the pickup to the down position when you launch. But that is sort of obvious, right?

Rod"

"the pick up is that white thi

"the pick up is that white thing right,i've always owned and worked on streetbikes and cars this is my first boat, but i'm finding out new stuff ever day.thanks"

Back