Logo

Speedometer Tubing Alpha One

lwhssh

"I just brought home an 1999 T

"I just brought home an 1999 Trophy 5.0 mercruiser w/ A;pha One
Noticed the Steedo Tubing hanging off the outdrive and saw that it was mangled & brittle.
I need to replace the tubing.
Is the tubing one piece to the guage or does it go through the transome via a fitting?
Can the tubing be replace without having to take any outdrive components apart?
Would it work, and be eaisier, to instal a genaric steedo pick-up on the transome and run new tubing and if I did would I get sea water infiltration through the old tube??
Thanks, Lee"

"I did not think a alpha has a

"I did not think a alpha has a internal speedo pick up like a bravo, My alpha drive has a speedo pickup mounted on the transon and the tube goes thru the rear of the boat with out any kind of connection. Just a hose."

"New Alphas have a pickup that

"New Alphas have a pickup that connects to the tubing fitting you have noticed, just in front of the lower shift shaft, right behind the flat aluminum anode plate. If its in bad shape it will have to be replaced to the fitting in the transom assembly. The tubing inside the boat is likely OK.

Rod"

"Unfortunately it's very d

"Unfortunately it's very difficult without removing the leg and gimbal ring.

A good time to change it is if you are changing your various bellows anyway. Your boat is 9 years old and the bellows should be changed every 10 years or so, so you may want to consider doing them all in one job.

The most critical bellows is the large one that houses your drive shaft and U joints. If it develops a leak your U joints and gimbal bearing will quickly rust out and need replacing.
If you do this, consider also replacing the lower shift cable at the same time, since you will have all the necessary parts removed for that job also.

Rod"

"Thanks,Rod
The previous owne

"Thanks,Rod
The previous owner had that done last year. I wish they would have fixed it at that time. It may be more simple at this point to install a seperate speedometer pick-up to the transome and re-route the tube. Do you agree?"

GPS with a transducer will giv

GPS with a transducer will give you that plus a whole lot more.Think I would do that before a tear down.Fix that speedo next go-around...Todd

Back