Logo

Boat weight

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
I am looking a buying a 1989 c

I am looking a buying a 1989 carver santego with twin 4.3L merc and I need to know the weight to see how big of a truck I need to get it home with any one know how much they weigh or where to find out how much they weigh........

What length??
A rough rule of

What length??
A rough rule of thumb 200-300lbs/ft of length.
dont forget the trailer wt. 1500-2000 lbs.

"sorry it's a 27' here

"sorry it's a 27' here is a pic from the net. I'll have more pics tomorrow, thats when I get to go look at the boat. it says here the boat has 8,400 lbs displacement. is that the weight, off the trailer of course

149058.jpg
"

"You'll need a 3/4 to 1 to

"You'll need a 3/4 to 1 ton truck capable of towing 11,000# minimum. The 1 ton will better handle your boat and trailer. If you will be towing where there are steep ramps then you'll need 4WD to get it up the slippery ramp. A BIG V-8 gas engine will do the trick but cost a bundle for the gas. A diesel engine will provide great torque and somewhat better fuel consumption but the diesel will cost $5K - $6K more. You can buy about 1,500 gal. of gas for the cost of a diesel so if you buy a diesel, it won't take long to recoup the addt'l cost with today's fuel prices."

"so 8,400 lbs is the weight of

"so 8,400 lbs is the weight of the boat and I'm looking at just keeping it at the marina and paying a friend of mine with a diesel to hual it there for me"

"Ayuh,.....

You'll be n

"Ayuh,.....

You'll be needing Permits to haul a load 10' Wide.....

8',6" Wide is the Max legal load....."

"John:

Nice! The boat looks

"John:

Nice! The boat looks great too. I'll take that rail ornament off your hands; would look good on my boat!
sun.gif

Store the trailer with wheels off the gound and covered w/a breathable cover; TYVEK house wrap would work. Cover the tires from the sun."

the book i just looked at show

the book i just looked at shows a "89" 2767 santego at approximately 6300 lb. no fuel gear or passengers.

nice looking boat good luck

"Ok so i went to look at it to

"Ok so i went to look at it today for the first time in person and it a montego not santego and this is the brocher for it it says this one a little lighter though so maybe I can pull it with a smaller truck

149134.jpg

and this is a actual pic of the boat and yes it comes with the trailer for $10,000

149135.jpg
"

John...

Nice looking boat.

John...

Nice looking boat. How's it run? Compression? Service records?

It's hard to believe that that huge thing is only 7 ft. longer than my boat. Mine looks like it should be towed behind that thing in the water as it's dinghy.

Wrench

"If you like that one, check o

"If you like that one, check out the larger Santegos--especially the 30 footer. Really nice.

Jeff"

"Hey Wrench Its runns great ju

"Hey Wrench Its runns great just had been serviced and it has a manual the size of a phone book full of every receipt for everthing ever done to the boat even every gas receipt in a seperate book. the guy needs the money for his wifes surgery and he can't afford to put gas in it any more. To bad for him great for me
I called the phone number on the trailer today and the guy I talked to says the trailer goes for 6500 bucks alone wich means 3500 for the boat...."

"My brother had the same type

"My brother had the same type boat you are getting into.I towed it for him for the past 5 seasons,1 1/2 hours each way-each year.I have a one ton dually, but you would have no problem with a 3/4 ton.Bottom line is drive defensivly and plan to stop 100' before where you want, and then idle to that spot.Safety first.
Now here's the biggy.Bondo's on it.I have lots of friends that I tow for.I WILL NOT tow without that permit.And yes some guys say its a waste.2 guys in our marina got caught last year and 1 fine was 8000 and the other 2000.How did they make out?Did I forget to mention that here in Penna. you need to up your insurance to 1 million dollars and have your truck and trailer registered in combination.Not sure how Fl. is on this.Just want to let you know the basic rules.Without a permit-accident happens-it all becomes your fault as you should not have been on the road.
Jeff...funny you should mention the 30' Carver.That is exactly what my brother just moved up to.Nice boat as you mentioned.Only problem I see with his is it came with 350's, but VP 290 drives and not so sure about them as there are not a lot of parts real handy for them....Todd"

Back